Beijing, Aug. 3 (Reuters): Masked militants attacked civilians, police and officials last week in China’s far western region of Xinjiang leading to almost 100 deaths, the government said today, giving fresh details on one of the worst incidents of unrest in years.
The Xinjiang government said 59 “terrorists” were gunned down by security forces, while 37 civilians were killed in the attacks on July 28.
Authorities reported the incident a day later, saying dozens of people had been killed when knife-wielding attackers had staged assaults.
The militants attacked a police station and government offices in Elixku town, before moving on to the nearby town of Huangdi, targeting civilians and smashing vehicles.
The Xinjiang government named a man with a Uighur sounding name as the ringleader, Nuramat Sawut, who it said had been involved in separatist activities.