The Telegraph
Friday , July 25 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Sangeeta caught on escape run

Patna, July 24: Sangeeta Devi was finally arrested from Tehta village in Jehanabad district in the early hours of Thursday.

Sangeeta had disappeared from Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) on Monday where she was undergoing treatment after being assaulted and stripped in public in Jehanabad on July 16.

Police said Sangeeta, in her late 40s, and her teenaged daughter, were intercepted while they were trying to flee from Tehta village under the jurisdiction of the Makdumpur police station area around 3am on Thursday. Initially, Sangeeta tried to mislead the police by disclosing a fake identity, but she finally broke down and revealed the truth during interrogation, police said.

Jehanabad superintendent of police Aditya Kumar said several police teams were assigned to trace the woman, who was wanted in connection with the kidnapping and murder of two youths at her Jehanabad-based residence. However, one of the teams spotted her while she was proceeding to board a train from a nearby railway halt, he added.

The SP said the woman confessed her involvement in the kidnapping and subsequent murder of Chunnu Sharma alias Om Prakash and his associate Rakesh Kumar, whose bodies were found from Sigori in Patna rural on June 16. She disclosed the names of her five associates, who had strangulated both the youths to death on the night of June 15 and dumped their bodies at a deserted place.

During interrogation, Sangeeta reportedly revealed that Chunnu had visited her Nijamuddinchak house with Rakesh in the evening on June 15. Munna Sharma, a resident of Nadauna village, Rahul and Chandani, both distant relatives, had helped her in eliminating the youths. She told the police that her 22-year-old son Bunty was also involved in it.

The SP, however, said the role of Bunty in the double murder case was being verified. “We have come to know that Bunty was being harassed by her mother on one pretext or the other. He had also opposed frequent visits of outsiders to their house and complained to his father, a constable with CRPF. Efforts are on to ascertain whether Bunty’s name has been mentioned out of vendetta or not. Her daughter, who accompanied her ever since she escaped from the PMCH, was released as she had nothing to do with the case,” Aditya said.

Sangeeta was later produced before a Jehanabad court, which remanded him in judicial custody for two weeks. Pulendra Sharma, father of Chunnu, had lodged an FIR with the Jehanabad town police station apprehending kidnapping of his son by Sangeeta and her associates.

Preliminary investigation revealed that Chunnu was involved in land deal with Sangeeta and she had called him at her residence with Rs 15 lakh for it. However, the love affair of Chunnu with Chandani led to the sensational murder. Rahul, one of the six accused, was envious of their affairs and he plotted the murder with the help of Munna, an officer said. Munna, assaulted by mob, is still undergoing treatment at the PMCH.