The Telegraph
Thursday , July 24 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Woman kills dad-in-law for property
- Couple try to implicate brother-in-law, fail

A 34-year-old woman in Purnea has been arrested for murdering her father-in-law, who was hacked to death in his sleep in the early hours of Wednesday, over land dispute.

Mani Yadav, a resident of Purnea’s Harrahi village about 390km northeast of Patna, was sleeping in the verandah when he was hacked to death with a sharp-edged weapon around 4am on Wednesday. Mani, a partially blind and deaf man in his 80s, lived adjacent to his elder son and family. His daughter-in-law Indu Yadav was arrested even though the family tried to implicate the victim’s younger son.

At first, Mani’s elder son Indeshwari Yadav, a daily wage earner, accused his younger brother Badri Yadav of killing their father. Badri had come home — under the jurisdiction of under Barhara Kothi police station — last week for a short vacation from Punjab where he was also a daily wage earner. During investigation, police found while Badri had no dispute with his father, Indu had a fight with Mani on Tuesday night.

Indu — who has two daughters and two sons with Indeshwari — was arrested around 9am. She decided to kill Mani for his refusal to help with the couple’s expenses.

Indu initially refused to confess to the crime. She, along with her husband, claimed that Badri killed the octogenarian Mani, a farmer with eight acres of land in Harrahi village.

The victim was likely to visit Lahan hospital in Nepal on Wednesday for treatment before he was killed at his home. Indu allegedly killed him because she wanted to grab his property and implicate Badri, her brother in-law.

She told The Telegraph: “My father-in-law had eight acres and whatever produce he had, he did not share with us. We are bound to work hard for the sustenance of our four school-going children so fights were quite common with him. He would hardly extend support to my family and it was difficult to survive on just my husband’s income. I wanted to end our misery. I had no way other than killing him for his money and property. So, I hatched the plan to murder him and implicate my brother in-law, Badri. I hacked him to death in the morning with a sharp-edged weapon when he was sleeping in his verandah.”

The couple lived adjacent to Mani’s home for the past five years. Police, during investigation, found Indu had a scuffle with her father-in- law on Tuesday evening over land dispute.

Additional superintendent of police and the in-charge of Dhamdaha sub-division, Dilnawaz Ahmad, said: “We came to know that Mani was killed by his daughter-in-law and not his younger son. After grilling her, she confessed to the crime. We registered a murder case against Indu at Barhara Kothi police station on Wednesday. She would be sent to jail after being produced before the court of the Purnea chief judicial magistrate.”