The Telegraph
Tuesday , July 15 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Jusco wins lamp post battle

Tata Steel subsidiary Jusco has forced a private company building a contentious multi-layered parking project on Bistupur Main Road bypass to free a lamp post that has suddenly been included within the project area.

The civic utility provider stirred into action and issued a notice to Teekay Enterprises Private Limited after The Telegraph published a report on June 24, highlighting how the company was expanding beyond its allotted acres, bringing in a roadside drain and the lamp post within the boundary wall made of tin sheets.

Following that report, Jusco sent a team to inspect the upcoming parking lot, which is being constructed since 2007, and subsequently asked the company to back off.

“We visited the project site and found that the lamp post had been encroached upon by Teekay Enterprises Private Limited. We sought an explanation from the company after which its director Balbir Singh wrote to us two days ago, saying that the company has included some portion of the road within the project area so that no building material falls on people and vehicles passing by. He has sought a fortnight’s time to complete construction on the road and remove the fence. Once that happens, we will get back our lamp post,” Jusco spokesperson Rajesh Rajan said.

He added that as the land on which the lamp post stands belongs to Tata Steel, they have informed the matter to its land department so that it can be verified whether Teekay Enterprises has encroached on the road.

A senior official of Tata Steel land department said that they would shortly conduct a survey to find out whether the project area has spilled onto roads adjoining the site.

Balbir Singh could not be contacted for his comments.

The parking project is coming up on a 0.75-acre plot leased to it by the East Singhbhum administration in 2007. But local residents, shopkeepers and commuters say that the company has encroached on road space, thus adding to congestion. They said that no less than 10 feet had been taken from the two open sides.