The Telegraph
Monday , June 30 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Fire in airport room

A fire broke out early on Sunday in the smoking area of Calcutta airport, where the fire alarms are inactive.

Sources said the fire was detected in the glass room located in the security-hold area, where passengers can walk in for a smoke.

Around 4am, a Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) guard spotted the fire and raised an alarm, following which fire extinguishers were pressed into service.

Airport sources said the room did not have passengers as no flight was scheduled to take off during that time.

“A small flame was spotted inside the room. I immediately alerted the staff and the blaze was contained within minutes with the help of fire extinguishers,” said an airport official.

“Since it is a smoking area, fire alarms in the room are inactive. Had it been any other part of the airport, fire alarms would have gone off.”

The official said had the fire spread out of the room, alarms installed across the airport would have automatically sounded and the sprinklers started functioning.

A preliminary probe has revealed the fire was caused by a short-circuit.