The Telegraph
Saturday , June 28 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Chit fund twist to gym trainer murder

A Jamshedpur transporter, wanted for Saturday’s murder of a gym instructor that had triggered largescale protests in the city, came out of hiding and surrendered on Friday, claiming that victim Arun Namata had duped him of lakhs pooled in a chit fund.

Goldy admitted to have killed Namata (32) in front of his Mahanand bustee house in Jemco as the Telco Club’s gym instructor had allegedly misappropriated a whopping Rs 30 lakh from one of the chit funds the transporter ran along with his father. Half of the Rs 30 lakh belonged to Goldy and the rest to Preeti.

This apart, Namata had failed to pay a loan of Rs 1.5 lakh he had taken from Goldy.

According to Homkar, Goldy and his father Jagir Singh used to run the chit fund in which several local residents, including Namata and Preeti, were members.

“They had all pooled in money in the chit fund, but Namata apparently tricked them and took away around Rs 30 lakh. He had also taken Rs 1.5 lakh from Goldy four months ago. Goldy had warned him to pay up several times, but when Namata refused to do so, he made up his mind to kill him,” Homkar added.

Police are now probing the role of Goldy’s father in the murder.

“If Jagir Singh is also involved, he will be arrested too. As for the woman, we are trying to find out why she had left the city along with Goldy after the murder,” the SSP said.

Patting his men for the breakthrough, Homkar said that constant cellphone surveillance and intelligence inputs helped them build pressure on the murder accused, who had escaped to Mumbai but came back to surrender after police sent a team to the Maharashtra capital to arrest him.

“Soon after shooting Namata dead on June 21, Goldy and his friend Preeti left the city. We set up a special team comprising six police officers, who worked day and night to find out the culprit’s location. They studied the mobile phone signals of Goldy and tracked him to a Mumbai hotel. A police team was sent to arrest him while posters carrying Goldy’s photographs were pasted at public places in Mumbai, including railway stations, marketplaces, hotels and bus and taxi stands,” the SSP said.

On reaching the hotel, the police team found that Goldy had already left it. He was travelling back to Jamshedpur to surrender.

“This morning (Friday), he surrendered before me along with the woman friend,” Homkar added.

The police bodyguard provided to Goldy after the murder of his uncle Dalbir Singh Birre, also a transporter, last December, has been withdrawn.

Police have also recommended cancellation of licences of arms owned by Goldy.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Rajnath's four-pronged rebel war
  • TSAF activities get American zing
  • Cricket boss quits JVM
  • Tips to power career dream
  • Mango godown burgled
  • Chit fund twist to gym trainer murder
  • Jumbo kills youth in Dalma
  • New mayor, chosen by 5.6 per cent
  • Mouse help for missing children
  • Rain exposes ills at state hospital
  • July 1 deadline for 238 schools
  • Halogen glow for Marine Drive
  • Protests over priest death
  • Madam mayor, your office is ready
  • VAT slash cheer for auto units
  • From cadets to traffic minders
  • Tirkey tills Kute protest