The Telegraph
Saturday , June 28 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Delay rap on police

The high court on Friday expressed displeasure over the failure of Girish Park police station to take action against Bikash Singh, a fake lawyer who had forged a high court order and cheated a homemaker of Rs 1.10 lakh.

“It’s strange that even after receiving a specific complaint, Girish Park police did not start criminal proceedings against the accused. Are the police waiting for a court order to start a probe?” Justice Dipankar Datta wondered.

He ordered the officer-in-charge of the police station to immediately start an inquiry and file a progress report within 10 days.

Salt Lake resident Santana Roy had allegedly handed over the money to Singh for obtaining bail for her brother Tapas Biswas, who is lodged at Presidency jail in connection with a dacoity.

Biswas, a resident of Basirhat in North 24-Parganas, was among the five men arrested in Pandua, Hooghly, on August 20 last year for the dacoity.

In January, Santana got the contact number of Singh, a resident of Piyali Das Lane in the Girish Park area. When she called him, Singh said he was a high court lawyer.

“Singh had given my client a visiting card and assured her that he would obtain a bail order for her brother against a payment of Rs 1.5 lakh. My client gave her Rs 1.10 lakh as advance,” Santana’s lawyer Phiroz Edulji submitted in the high court.

“In February, Singh gave her a copy of what he claimed was a high court order passed by Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice Indrajit Chatterjee on February 24. The purported order said Tapas Biswas was being released on bail against a payment of Rs 10,000 as security bond.”

When the jail authorities refused to release Biswas, Santana contacted Singh and he told her that her brother had been implicated in another case. “Singh gave her a letter signed by the Presidency jail superintendent, saying Biswas would be released on April 4. When my client met the superintendent, he told her the letter was forged,” Edulji said.

“A further inquiry revealed that even the court order was forged. On that day (February 24) Justice Banerjee had sat with Justice Asim Mondal and not with Justice Chatterjee. My client then lodged a complaint with Girish Park police station.”