The Telegraph
Tuesday , June 10 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Fatal fall foxes parents

- Bangalore cops grope for clues over youth’s death

Police and the parents of a 23-year-old Kestopur youth found dead on his college campus in Bangalore on June 2 were clueless about what led to the death — whether he was pushed from atop a 30ft building or he committed suicide.

Avishek Mitra, a final-year MSc student of biochemistry at MS Ramaiah College of Arts, Science and Commerce, was found unconscious in a passage between his hostel building and an adjacent one under renovation around 8.15am.

He was to write a paper of the final semester exam a couple of hours later.

The youth was taken to MS Ramaiah Memorial Hospital but couldn’t be revived. He died at 9.15am.

Preliminary investigation by Sadashivanagar police station revealed that his legs, thighs and hands sustained multiple fractures, indicating a fall from the roof of the 30ft building under renovation.

The police and his parents have not been able to pinpoint a reason that prompted him to jump off the building.

“He sounded absolutely normal when I last spoke to him before 5am. He would always call us to wish good night. He did so the night before and spoke about KKR’s victory (in the IPL final). Then he asked me to wake him up early next morning. I called him at 4.51am. He answered my call and said he was going to revise the chapters for the final exam,” recalled father Amlan Jyoti Mitra at his Kestopur home on Monday.

Mitra said he and his wife called Avishek again around 7.15am but their call went unanswered.

“We thought he was busy with his studies and would call back later. I was booking an air ticket online from my office later in the morning when I got a call from Ramaiah hospital. I was told that our son had suffered fatal injuries.”

The 56-year-old employee with the comptroller and auditor general had planned to reach Bangalore on June 5 and go house-hunting with Avishek as he wanted to shift from the hostel at semester-end.

Mitra said Avishek had no reason to end his life.

He alleged that his relatives in Bangalore who went to the hospital on being informed about Avishek’s fatal fall were not provided vital details. “His phone and identity card were in the room. We still don’t know who identified him, who got him admitted to the hospital and why this information on who brought him to the hospital was not shared with our relatives in Bangalore.”

“Why was Avishek’s name mentioned as Avinash in the hospital register while his room number was written correctly?”

The Mitras have submitted a document before the police listing their doubts and seeking answers.

Bangalore police declined to reveal the details, saying “investigation” was on.

“Preliminary investigation rules out foul play… no outsider can enter the well-guarded hostel,” Sharad Kumar, inspector at Sadashivanagar police station, told Metro on Monday.

Police sources said suicide over a love affair or depression has been prima facie ruled out. “But we need to investigate all possible angles such as health issues that might have driven him to take his life,” an officer said.

The college authorities could not be contacted despite repeated attempts.