The Telegraph
Friday , June 6 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Silk park debut by year-end

Acting chief secretary Sajal Chakraborty, after discussions with industry secretary Himani Pandey, joint secretary, ministry of commerce and other officials, is understood to have given the nod to a proposed silk park at Irba in Ranchi, for which tenders will be floated soon.

Chakraborty, who held a meeting with the officials earlier this week, said, “We have already identified land at Irba for the proposed project, while land identification process is in the pipeline at Rajnagar in Seraikela-Kharsawan district, where a second silk park has been proposed.”

After finalising tenders, a detailed project report (DPR) would be prepared. “We expected to start work by the year-end, or may be even before that,” he told The Telegraph.

The proposed silk park is to come up at Irba on a 5-acre plot. It would be the first such park in Jharkhand, developed in close proximity to the state capital, and would cost Rs 21 crore. While 80 per cent of the costs will be provided by the Centre, the remaining 20 per cent will be borne by the state government.

The project, steered by the Union ministry of textiles under assistance for schemes of infrastructure development for entrepreneurs (ASIDE), is meant to identify export oriented products of the state and help in international marketing and trade after silk production begins.

In February, former chief secretary R.S. Sharma had reviewed the status of the project during a meeting of the state-level export promotion committee with officials of the industry department at the secretariat at Ranchi’s Project Building.

Taking off from where Sharma left, Chakraborty maintained he was leaving no stone unturned to launch the project at the earliest. “Our officials are already in the process of gathering details about silk parks which have been set up in other states in order to understand various models,” he noted.

The proposed park will use best of modern technology to provide basic infrastructure like a dye processing unit; cocoon bank; drying, processing, reeling and spinning units; yarn dyeing and bleaching facilities; as well as fabric weaving units. “Over 10,000 people will get employment after the silk park comes up. Weavers will also be trained,” the chief secretary revealed.

Jharkhand Silk Textile and Handloom Development Corporation (Jharcraft) will serve as the nodal agency for the upcoming silk park. According to Jharcraft MD Dhirendra Kumar, “Our state is the largest producer of tussar silk accounting for about 65 per cent of the country’s overall produce. We will also have units for making ready-made garments, packing units and facilities for testing, designing and training,”

Silk parks are also being planned in Giridih and Jasidih.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Kejriwal to visit Ranchi
  • Dalma villagers happy to get hooked to honey
  • Yashwant rejects advice
  • Mentor's new skills lift TFA hopes
  • To belt or not to belt
  • Maoist leader held
  • Silk park debut by year-end
  • Twin cells to check trafficking
  • A talk on saving forests
  • Funds hope for Kolhan colleges
  • Feel the buzz and sting work
  • Knee gift for woman
  • Say hello to our heroes
  • SCCI push for Howrah train
  • Industry city's green mission
  • Auto lab readies
  • Mayor poll final list today
  • Railway man kills self at station
  • NH revamp left in lurch
  • ISM's green campus and canvas