The Telegraph
Wednesday , May 28 , 2014
CIMA Gallary


Q: I had to take a BSNL landline connection when I took their broadband connection last January. I have not received any bill so far despite many visits to the Dum Dum exchange. My daughter, who stays elsewhere, pays the bill online every month. I am 62 years old and cannot run to the exchange constantly. What should I do to get my bills regularly?

Debabrata Paul, Calcutta

A: You could write to the customer care and billing department of the office. If this does not work, send a legal notice to their head office. Send both the letter and the notice through speed post or registered post with an acknowledgement due card.


Q: I have been residing in a house for the past 15 years. No legal heirs have come forward to claim it. The house is registered in the name of its previous owner. How can I get it legally transferred to my name? Do I have to file a petition in the court? If yes, what evidences will I have to produce?

Buddhadeb Kundu, Halisahar, West Bengal

A: In order to claim title to the property, you may file a civil suit against the owner’s legal heirs for a decree of title through adverse possession. For a case of adverse possession, according to the Transfer of Ownership Act, you have to prove that your possession is actual, exclusive, hostile, under cover of claim or right, and continuous and uninterrupted for more than 12 years.


Q: My father, who expired in 1985, transferred his properties to me through a registered deed of settlement. Now I want to settle those as well as the ones acquired by me in favour of my only son. I have been told that I need not prepare the deed because when a person inherits paternal properties by way of a deed of settlement, the assets are automatically transferred to the heir after his demise. I have four sisters who were married before my father died.

Name withheld

A: According to the Hindu Succession Act, 1956, the property of a Hindu male is inherited by his spouse, mother, daughters, sons, widows of pre-deceased sons, and the children of pre-deceased sons and daughters in equal ratio. Married or not, your sisters were rightful heirs. But as they have not contested the deed, your son will inherit all your assets. But if you wish your assets to pass to your son exclusively and not be divided between your wife and him, you should make a family settlement or a will.