The Telegraph
Monday , May 12 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Honour killing whiff in twin murders

Berhampur, May 11: A love story met with a gory end at Haldipadar, a lower middleclass neighbourhood on the outskirts of the town, in the early hours today. The incident appears to be a case of honour killing.

Lovers Mami Nayak, 19, and Amar Nayak, 20, who happened to be first cousins, were hacked to death by her brothers, who are in the age group of 20-24, police said. The area falls within the Golanthara police limits, barely 10km from the town.

The murder took place around 2am, hours before the girl, a school dropout, was supposed to get married to someone else against her wish.

The three accused, Kalu Nayak, Nirakar Nayak and Budha Nayak, who worked as welders, attacked the lovers with a sword and an axe when Mami fled to the house of Amar after her pre-wedding feast and refused to budge.

Though the accused are on the run, the police have detained their father Bulu Nayak, who is in his 50s.

Amar, a college dropout, lived in Haldipadar with his widowed mother in a rented house next to a garage along the National Highway-5.

Amar’s mother Sanjukta, 52, today lodged a complaint in Golanthara police station following which a case has been registered. Inspector in-charge of the police station Prasant Kumar Das said the bodies had been sent for post-mortem and a report was awaited.

“We have seized a sword and an axe from the spot and registered a case (number 64/14) under sections 302 and 34 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). We have detained Bulu Nayak, the father of Mami, for interrogation. As he is drunk, he is unable to speak much,” he said.

Superintendent of police, Berhampur, Aniruddh Kumar Singh, who visited Golanathara, said efforts were on to nab the accused. A sniffer dog and a forensic team have been pressed into service to look for clues.

An inconsolable Sanjukta said Mami was the daughter of her sister-in-law and her marriage was scheduled for Sunday. “The pre-wedding feast took place last night and my son took part in it. Then he returned home around 1.40am on his cycle. Mami followed him soon after,” Sanjukta said.

“Around 20 minutes later, Mami’s brothers reached our house. They touched my feet and sought my permission to take Mami home. I told them to come with my sister-in-law. But they insisted on Mami accompanying them immediately. When she refused, they suddenly attacked Amar with a sword and an axe. Then they hacked Mami when she put her arms around my son to save him,” she said.

Sanjukta said he pleaded with the accused, but they refused to listen and went on to kill the two.

When she was pleading with the Nayak brothers, they pushed Sanjukta with such force that she fell to the ground and lost consciousness.

“When I regained my senses, I saw Amar and Mami lying in a pool of blood. By 3am, Mami’s mother and aunt arrived in an autorickshaw to take their daughter back. But they left in 15 minutes without helping me to take my son and Mami to the hospital. I could do nothing except wait by the side of NH-5 till 6am when I managed to catch the attention of some people who informed the police,” said Sanjukta.

Though Amar and Mami were in a relationship for nearly a year, Sanjukta claimed she was unaware about it.

“I did not know they were in love”, she said.

Mami had dropped out of school after Class VIII and Amar discontinued his studies after Plus Two after his father Subash Nayak, who worked as a watchman in an automobile garage, passed away four months ago.

Garage owner Nayan Kumar said the family had been staying in the house adjoining the garage for the last 12 years.

 More stories in Front Page

  • Tablet cop to stop food theft
  • Honour killing whiff in twin murders
  • Decade on, coins to go public
  • CID warns of human traffickers
  • Toughest test: 'We can handle trouble in no time but police will have to tell us'
  • Over the counter, SuperModi mix
  • Villagers smitten with Modi
  • Plea for NIA probe into ministers' role
  • Probe heat back on 'cheat' funds