The Telegraph
Thursday , May 1 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Student killed self

Rajat Kumar Singh, the 21-year-old electronics student whose decomposed body was found hanging in Bokaro Steel quarters on Tuesday, had committed suicide on April 27 because his family was frustrated over his academic setbacks.

A police team, searching Rajat’s belongings at Q.No. 1279 in Sector VIIIA of the steel city on Wednesday, found a note tucked inside a copybook detailing his death wish.

The second-year student of Guru Govind Singh Educational Society’s Technical Campus, Chas, has owned up responsibility for his death and apologised to his father for failing to live up to the family’s expectations.

Yeh suicide apni khusi se kar rahein hain… Papa aap theek the ki aapka paisa hum barbad kar rahein hain. Ab aap apna dhyan bhaiya ko banane mein dijiyega (No one is responsible for my suicide… Papa, you are right that I am wasting your money. You must only help bhaiya build his career),” the note said.

Bokaro DSP Sahdeo Sah, who is investigating the case, said the scrap of paper was found inside a copybook. “Handwriting experts have confirmed that the note was written by the boy,” he added.

Rajat lived with three other students in the quarters and their absence when the body was found had, initially, prompted police to probe a murder angle. Balram Hansda, Arvind Kumar and Ejaz Alam were grilled on Wednesday. Police sources said all three had left for their respective homes after Rajat, a native of Sindri, did the same on April 11.

According to what friends and family have told police, Rajat was an average student but had insisted on taking up electronics engineering while his father wanted him to pursue a career in civil. The youth failed to clear his first semester, but managed to reach the second through supplementary exams. He again suffered a setback in the third semester, which enraged his father.

When he went home earlier this month to see his sister’s newborn, he was chided and accused of wasting his father’s hard earned money. He returned to Bokaro on April 27 and that was when neighbours last saw him alive.