The Telegraph
Monday , April 14 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Street play spreads word: It’s cool to vote

Dhubri, April 13: A street drama was staged at Dhubri Mela field today appealing to the people of Dhubri constituency to come out on the day of polling on April 24 and cast their votes.

In order to increase the voting percentage, the Dhubri district election office has taken up a unique way to create awareness on the importance of voting.

Swastidoot Natya Sanstha of Dhubri district staged this drama with five actors playing different roles.

Characters in the drama explained how exercising one’s voting right is important and how it is the duty of citizens to cast their votes without fail.

The drama also highlighted the prevailing laws against bribing and using force to influence voters. It also stressed on how to cast a “conscience” vote in favour of the right candidate. Actors also gave the phone numbers of officials where people could call if any of these laws were being violated.

Sanstha president Debol Chandra Roy told The Telegraph that their organisation staged numerous street plays to create awareness on various social issues ranging from illiteracy to health.

“We will continue to stage these street dramas in the district in the run-up to the election and hope the percentage will increase further this time,” Roy said.

Dhubri district project director Ramen Chandra Malakar appealed to the voters to cast their votes freely without fear.

“India is the largest democracy in the world and exercising franchise is the duty of every citizen. So come out on the day of the poll and cast your vote,” Malakar appealed.

Dhubri district election officer Diganta Das also appealed to the voters to cast their votes.

An official source said there was an increasing trend in polling percentage as in the last Dhubri Lok Sabha poll the percentage of polling was 75.69 while it increased to 84.62 in the Assembly election of 2011. Given the increasing trend, it is expected that polling percentage would further go up.

Moreover, 96 per cent of the total 15,48,849 electors were issued elector photo identity cards in Dhubri Lok Sabha constituency. The remaining 4 per cent voters could also cast their votes by producing valid documents according to issued guidelines, an official said.

 More stories in Northeast

  • 70-years-young men dance husori
  • Polls now, new year can wait
  • Who is Modi, asks Nellie
  • Street play spreads word: It's cool to vote
  • Meinya's power versus Nara's confidence in Inner Manipur
  • Aam aadmi vehicles for AAP, Trinamul