Dibrugarh, April 9: The death toll in the mushroom poisoning case in Tinsukia district in Upper Assam has gone up to eight, including two children.
Altogether 21 people, mostly belonging to the tea garden community, from and near Namdang tea estate at Margherita, were admitted to Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) after they consumed poisonous mushrooms on April 5.
One of the patients, Julius Purti, 28, told The Telegraph today that the mushrooms that he consumed were collected from a nearby jungle. “I had gone to the jungle to collect vegetables where I found the mushrooms. Since I did not get any vegetable, I brought the mushrooms. But after eating them with one of my friends I felt uneasy and started vomiting,” Purti said.
Purti and his friend were then rushed to a nearby hospital, which referred them to the AMCH. Doctors today said his condition was stable and would recover within a few days.
In another incident, Nareswar Maut, 42, his wife and daughter-in-law were among the patients who were admitted in the hospital three days ago. Maut had gone to the jungle to collect fodder but came back with some mushrooms too. Maut’s son had asked them not to eat mushrooms but nobody paid heed to his advice resulting in the tragedy.
AMCH superintendent M. Patwari said the patients had been admitted to the hospital from April 5. “The patients were given priority as they were brought in a very critical condition. We tried our best but could not save a few of them,” he said, adding that they have ordered necessary medicines from Calcutta to deal with such incidents in the future.