The Telegraph
Wednesday , April 2 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Close shave for shop

Kashmir Vastralaya, a popular apparel store in the heart of Ranchi, was spared major damages when alert employees quickly acted and doused a fire on Tuesday morning.

Around 60 people, including 50 staff, were present at the outlet on Main Road when a short circuit caused the fire at the electric panel around 11am. As smoke engulfed the store and people ran helter-skelter, some of the employees promptly used the fire extinguishers kept at the shop to douse the flames.

The fire brigade was informed too, but by the time help arrived, the fire had been put out.

Apart from some burnt electric wire and equipment, the shop, which had stocked apparel worth around Rs 1 crore, suffered no other damage.

“The employees saved the day. As soon as the fire broke out, some took out fire extinguishers and fought the flames, while others called fire fighters. A fire tender came around 11.35pm, but was not of much use as the situation was under control,” said a tea stall owner in the locality.

Shop owner Suresh Malhotra expressed relief.

“Thank God. Everything is in order and safe,” he said.

However, he refused to say anything more when pressed for details.

A visit to the shop around 2pm revealed everything was normal. A few staff were spotted instructing electricians to change the appliances that had been burnt in the fire.