The Telegraph
Tuesday , April 1 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Akhil released on bail

Jorhat, March 31: KMSS president Akhil Gogoi was released from Central Jail Jorhat this evening after the court of Titabar sub-divisional judicial magistrate (SDJM) granted him bail in the afternoon against a surety of Rs 10,000.

Yesterday, the same court had remanded Gogoi in judicial custody till April 11 by reserving the order on his bail petition for today, as police could not submit the case diary to the court.

A large number of supporters greeted Akhil, shouting slogans against the government.

Akhil came down heavily on the Tarun Gogoi-led government for “conspiring” to suppress his voice against “largescale corruption and atrocities” of the government.

Thanking the people and lawyers for their overwhelming support after he was put behind bars for almost a month, Akhil appealed to the people to hand out a big defeat to the Congress in the polls.

He accused Tarun Gogoi of acting under the Centre’s instructions by lodging false cases to keep him in jail during the election, fearing a huge defeat. He said the government was planning to arrest him again in some old police cases lodged in Lakhimpur and Golaghat districts.

Akhil was granted bail by Gauhati High court in nine police cases and by the additional chief judicial magistrate (Kamrup) in two other police cases on Friday.

The Titabar sub-divisional judicial magistrate, Abhijeet Kumar Baruah, while granting bail, observed that there was a “long gap” between the date of occurrence of the incident (February 3) and the date of arrest, March 25. It “creates reasonable doubt regarding the intention of the investigating agency (police) to detain the accused,” he added.

The order said considering the medical report, which stated that the accused was suffering from illness, and after perusal of the case diary, “the court is of the opinion that progress into the investigation of the case now does not demand any further detention of the accused”.

He was yesterday flown in here from Guwahati Central Jail, according to medical advice of the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital where he had a check-up on Friday.

He was arrested in a case (No. 17/14) registered against him at Titabar police station on February 3 — the day hundreds of KMSS activists and Akhil staged a demonstration in front of the office of Titabar sub-divisional officer (civil) against alleged financial anomalies.

As the protest turned violent, the police caned the protesters and detained Akhil and KMSS joint secretary Vedanta Laskar on the office campus of the Titabar sub-divisional officer (civil) for nearly four hours.

The peasant leader has been booked under Sections 147 (rioting), 148 (rioting, armed with deadly weapon or with anything) 149 (offence committed by any member of an unlawful assembly), 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty), 332 (voluntarily causing hurt to deter public servant from his duty) of the IPC.

Sections 353 and 332 are non-bailable offences.

Rintu Goswami, one of the two lawyers representing Akhil, said the court had directed the police to submit original supporting documents regarding a fresh plea filed by the police today.

The police appealed to add two more IPC sections — Section 333 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt to deter public servant from his duty) Section 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means) in the case.

Earlier in the day, hundreds of KMSS activists and supporters took out a procession here shouting slogans against the government in support of various demands like new and laws, a CBI probe into Rs 10-crore Titabar water supply scheme and Akhil’s release.

The protesters staged a demonstration in front of the Jorhat deputy commissioner’s office for some time and then moved away.