The Telegraph
Saturday , March 22 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Jaipur glory for capital artist

The tribal lifestyle of Jharkhand just found expression on the colourful canvases in the pink city, thanks to Ranchi-based visual artist Haren Thakur who is participating in the 2nd Jaipur Art Festival at Diggi Palace.

Started on March 19, the five-day festival will conclude on Sunday.

As many as 150 accomplished and upcoming artists from across the globe are are busy in live demonstrations of miniature art, calligraphy, mandana, fresco, blue pottery and wash technique.

A few artists are also showing the intricacies of mithila painting, tie and dye, batik, charcoal, glass painting, enamel art, sand sculpture, phulkari, kantha, kashmiri embroidery, brass inlay, jewellery making and lac bangle making.

Simultaneously, art seminars are also being held at the venue.

Artworks created during the live demonstration will be put up at an exhibition-cum-sale named Painted Pleasures at the venue from March 22 to 25. While 60 per cent of the profit will be given to the artist, the rest 40 per cent will go to Jaipur art festival. The unsold paintings also will be the property of the organisers.

Speaking to The Telegraph from Jaipur, Thakur said he was mainly focusing on tribal art.

“With the help of my paintings, not only our rich tribal culture is being depicted, artists from across the world are taking keen interest in Jharkhand’s art,” said the Thakur, adding that he was trying to produce two artworks in two separate canvases using acrylic colours.

Each participant has been paid an honorarium. Besides, certificates will be given to them on the concluding day.