Army vehicles on a railway carriage at Tatanagar station on Thursday. The injured jawan was atop one of these when he received the shock. Picture by Animesh Sengupta
An army jawan was critically injured in a freak fire at the railway yard of Tatanagar station on Thursday morning.
Sheo Shanker Yadav (35) — a native of Uttar Pradesh’s Ballia district and a havildar in the 89th Field Regiment at Sonari army camp, has suffered 35 per cent burns on his torso and is battling for life at Tata Main Hospital.
According to the statement the jawan gave Bistupur police from his hospital bed, he was drying clothes atop an army truck before 9.30am when the mishap took place.
“The vehicle was part of a convoy loaded onto a railway carriage stationed on track No. 19 and his body accidentally came in contact with the overhead high-tension wires,” said Bistupur officer-in-charge Awadh Kumar Yadav.
He added that no case had been lodged so far.
According to eyewitnesses at Tatanagar, they saw the youth on fire after he received the electric shock. “The army truck also went ablaze, but other jawans managed to douse the flames and rush their injured colleague to hospital,” said an eyewitness.
Sheo Shankar, who had lost consciousness in the jolt, was referred to the burn care unit on the second floor of the six-storied new block of Tata Main Hospital.
A doctor attending to him said: “The jawan has suffered 35 per cent burns. His condition is still critical.”
Local army officials refused to talk to the media on the accident.
However, sources at Tatanagar railway yard confirmed that the army trucks were from Sonari camp. They had been loaded onto the carriage on Wednesday evening and were scheduled to leave for Bikaner in Rajasthan on Friday morning.