The Telegraph
Thursday , February 13 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Woman escapes cab kidnap

The driver of a shuttle taxi allegedly tried to kidnap a woman on the EM Bypass, triggering a police chase and rescue around 1am on Wednesday.

The woman, in her mid-30s and apparently the lone passenger in the Force One rental car, said in her complaint that she had boarded the cab from the Mathpara crossing, a few hundred metres from Science City, at 12.45am.

She was to get down near the Ruby roundabout but the driver didn’t stop and sped off along the deserted Bypass, the police said.

“She demanded an explanation when the driver did not stop at the Ruby crossing but he apparently threatened her with dire consequences and continued to drive south,” an officer said.

As the car crossed some policemen checking vehicles at the roundabout, she panicked and started screaming for help.

By then, the car had reached the crossing near the Avishikta housing estate, where the Prince Anwar Shah Road connector meets the Bypass. “She rolled down a window and screamed at the top of her voice when she saw another set of policemen checking vehicles at the crossing. The woman’s shout for help alerted our team and soon a chase was on,” the officer said.

The cab was heading along the connector towards Jadavpur with a police jeep trailing it.

“The driver suddenly braked around 500m from the Bypass and let the woman go before fleeing at high speed. Our jeep reached the spot and rescued the woman,” the officer said.

“We have learnt that the driver has fled with the car to north Bengal. The car is registered in the name of a Behala resident who had sub-let the vehicle to an agent for commercial use,” a police source said.

A case has been registered against the driver but not before a debate over “jurisdiction”.

Though the jeep involved in the chase and rescue belonged to Garfa police station, sources said it did not start a case despite hearing out the woman’s ordeal.

“Instead, she was escorted to Pragati Maidan police station which controls the Science City area, the point where she started her journey. But the case fell on Kasba police station because the alleged crime of wrongful confinement happened near the Ruby crossing,” explained a police officer.