The Telegraph
Wednesday , February 5 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Suicide probe hints at youth depression

A 25-year-old youth committed suicide at his Neelkanth Colony residence with police investigations hinting at depression behind the move. His mother found him hanging from the ceiling fan of his room on Tuesday.

Rahul Aditya alias Bittu was found hanging in the room of his Neelkanth Colony residence around 12 noon by his mother. The youth had been rusticated from the Dhanbad-based Indian Institute of Mines (ISM) three months back and was living in his home since then. The cops, however, refused to give any reason for his expulsion.

“No suicide note has been found from his room. The youth’s room is located on the first floor of his house named Sumitra Sadan. He was a late riser and so his family members did check on him. His father, Dinesh Choudhary, is a retired joint commissioner in the commercial taxes department of the state government. However, the deceased’s cellphone has been scanned and the cops have come across some clues,” a police officer said. Rahul had used a towel to hang himself from the ceiling fan, sources said.

Sources said Rahul’s cellphone records indicated four missed calls and some messages. “The missed calls had come from the same number, which belonged to a girl. The girl, a daughter of a vigilance inspector, was contacted and she said Rahul had sent her text messages in which he said he would commit suicide. Scared, the girl called him up four times but Rahul did not pick up. Rahul and the girl were friends and used to talk often. It seems Rahul suffered from depression,” an officer said.

The deceased’s family, they had last seen Rahul in the house around 10.30pm.

“The boy used to have his dinner late and sleep late. It was his daily routine. Owing to this habit, he used to get up late in the morning. On Tuesday, his mother found him asleep until 12 noon and decided to go to his room and wake him. The room’s door was open and she found her son hanging as soon as she opened the door. She then raised an alarm after which a servant of the family cut the towel and brought him down. The police only know that he had been rusticated by the institute three months back. The body has been sent for a post-mortem,” the officer added.