The Telegraph e-Paper
The Telegraph
CIMA Gallary

Woman’s night of trauma
- Victim tells cops how prime accused lured and attacked her

The 21-year-old woman who was allegedly gang-raped at Kidderpore on Sunday night has said that she had gone out with prime accused Mohammad Hamid for dinner but was then trapped and raped before being dropped at Howrah station, police sources said.

“Medical reports leave no doubt that she had been subjected to sexual assault. Only that the circumstances that had led to the offence might have been a little different from what we were told earlier,” said an investigator.

The woman, who was profusely bleeding on Monday morning and needed three stitches, spoke to the police in short bursts on Wednesday. “She is now stable but having frequent mood swings. This is probably because of the trauma,” said critical care expert Subrata Maitra at Belle Vue Clinic. “A consultation with a psychologist is scheduled tomorrow,” he added.

The police had earlier sourced CCTV footage showing her and Hamid together before and after the assault, first in Kidderpore and then at Howrah station. The woman who works in South City Mall said on Wednesday that after work on Sunday, she had gone with Hamid for dinner.

“She said that since it got very late after dinner, Hamid asked her to stay back for the night and go home the next morning. She said he took her to a relative’s place where they did not allow her in. They went to a guesthouse where they were denied a room as they could not produce photo-identity cards. Hamid then told her there was another place but took her to the desolate garage in Watgunge and raped her,” said an officer.

Police on Wednesday tried to re-construct the crime scene by taking Hamid to all the places where he had gone with the woman that night. “It appears they had taken a taxi from Watgunge to Howrah station. However, the taxi driver had stopped near Babughat and refused to go any further. They had got down at Babughat and stopped a white private car that dropped them at the station,” said a sleuth.

Police will also question the woman who had introduced Hamid to the girl a few weeks ago. A resident of south Calcutta, she was the victim’s senior at work whom she had contacted several times on Sunday night.

“If the victim makes substantial changes in her statement before the magistrate as well, the charges (of gang rape against Hamid and four others) might be altered,” said an officer.