The Telegraph
Wednesday , January 22 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Mob fury over banker death

The death of a young woman banker at a Ramgarh nursing home at 1.30am on Tuesday, hours after she delivered her third child, made her neighbours so furious that they went on a rampage, destroying medical infrastructure worth over a crore and seriously injuring two male attendants.

Nisha Jha (33), deputy manager of HDFC (Hazaribagh branch), gave birth to a baby boy yesterday at 5.54pm via Caesarean section at Brindavan Hospital and Research Centre, a private hospital in Ramgarh’s Marar area, well-known for its in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) facility.

It was Nisha’s third C-section delivery, said to have more chances of complication than the first two times. According to the hospital, her ceaseless bleeding proved fatal.

As news of her death spread, hundreds of Nisha’s neighbours at Sarubera colliery area of Kujju — she stayed with her father Leelakant Jha, a Central Coalfields Limited employee, while her husband Tarun Anand Jha works in Jamshedpur — stormed into the nursing home around 3.30am and charged doctors with negligence.

Within half an hour, some 300 people wreaked havoc on the 50-bed nursing home, damaging expensive pathology instruments, computers, television sets and air conditioners, pelting stones at glass windows and overturning beds and flowerpots. They also beat up two male attendants employed with the nursing home — Md Alam and Ramkishore Tiwary.

Both Alam, whose ribs were broken, and his colleague Ramkishore, got hurt trying to save the nursing home owner Dr Malti Char.

Char alleged that Rs 90,000 from the cash counter was also taken.

The situation was controlled when Ramgarh police arrived on the scene.

Nisha’s body has been sent to Hazaribagh Sadar hospital for post-mortem. Ramgarh SP Ranjit Prasad said a board of doctors would perform the autopsy to determine the exact cause of Nisha’s death.

Dr Anita, who operated on Nisha, was not available for comment. Nursing home owner Char said Nisha’s haemorrhaging could not be stopped.

Protest over the mob rampage has come from different quarters. In the afternoon, Marar residents came out for a two-hour roadblock of NH-33 from 1pm to back the hospital and demanded police action against vandals.

In the evening, Indian Medical Association (Ramgarh chapter) called a meeting to condemn the incident and demand the arrest of the persons involved in 72 hours.

Ramgarh SP Prasad said those who had taken law in their hands would not be spared. “An FIR will be lodged and all vandals will be arrested,” the SP said.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Swinging times for kids of Jharia displaced
  • Girl under truck, injured
  • Varsity's degree day deferred
  • Clean-up challenge
  • Schools to unlock seats
  • Young hockey champ hopes...
  • Mob fury over banker death
  • Six schools in rebel hubs
  • Laxmi Nivas hits apathy wall
  • ... Senior Olympian gold winner mopes
  • Lalu praises 'gentleman' Paswan
  • Tableau on voting rights
  • Tusu fair sparks snarls
  • Clerks strike, citizens suffer
  • Etched in stone, but...
  • Court rejects Agrawal
  • Gulmohur duo to compete at national spelling tie