The Telegraph
Thursday , January 16 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

Haze over girl’s death

Agartala, Jan. 15: The state unit of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind has alleged that a 21-old-girl, belonging to a minority community, was murdered after gang rape in Taranagar village under Mohanpur subdivision.

Mufti Taibur Rahaman, chief of Jamiat in Tripura, told the media today that the girl was gang-raped and burnt alive by eight youths near her home on the night of January 10.

Rahaman who led a delegation of the Jamiat to meet director-general of police C. Balasubramaniam twice to press for arrest of the culprits, said despite an FIR filed with Sidhai police station with specific names of the culprits, the police did not take any action.

He also threatened to launch an agitation if the police remained inactive.

The sub-divisional police officer (Mohanpur), Sanjay Biswas, said the police had registered the FIR and an investigation was on, but said “by all indications the girl committed suicide”.

He said Sanjib Das, 28, of Taranagar village had an affair with the girl but the two families objected to their relationship.

Sanjib’s sister met the girl and tried to persuade her to snap ties with her brother. A depressed Sanjib committed suicide on the night of January 9 by hanging himself from a tree near the girl’s house. Before that he had sent an SMS to her requesting her to accept his love.

The next morning, the girl’s family found Sanjib’s body. Around 8pm before leaving her room the girl told her mother that she was going to the bathroom. She later set herself ablaze behind the house. She was rushed to GB Hospital, Agartala, in a critical condition with more than 80 per cent burns and died within half-an-hour.

On January 11, her mother filed an FIR with Sidhai police station alleging that eight youths of her area had gang-raped her daughter and murdered her but there has been no arrest though the state unit of Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind took up the issue from the very first day.

“In the course of investigation, we found the girl’s suicide note, addressed to her parents, on her table. We have recovered the container in which she carried kerosene and the container belonged to her family. There was no sign of rape or gang-rape though the post-mortem report is still awaited. How can we take it a case of gang-rape and murder?” Biswas asked.

He refused to make any comment on the allegation being raised by Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind. Biswas said all eight, whose names figure in the FIR, had fled the area after the FIR, but efforts were on to arrest them.