The Telegraph
Thursday , January 2 , 2014
CIMA Gallary

After molest, under threat to drop case

A 22-year-old homemaker who was molested in front of her husband near their house last Sunday lodged a second complaint with Karaya police station on Tuesday night after some youths threatened the couple to withdraw the first complaint.

The woman alleged that her husband and brother-in-law were chatting outside their three-storey home on Broad Street around 11.30pm on Tuesday when four youths approached and threatened them.

“They claimed that if we don’t withdraw the complaint they would rape my daughter-in-law in front of her husband. They said they had come to warn us on Tuesday and if we didn’t listen to them, they would go ahead and do it,” alleged the woman’s father-in-law who works at Calcutta High Court.

Police had arrested Mohammaed Sajid, 25, one of the alleged molesters, after the first complaint but were yet to take action against the culprits who had threatened and mounted pressure on the couple to withdraw the complaint.

“We are carrying out an investigation but three of the accomplices of Sajid are absconding. We are trying to ascertain the identity of the men who threatened the family on Tuesday,” said Debabrata Das, the deputy commissioner of police, southeast division.

The four youths had allegedly passed lewd comments at the woman after she and her husband, a supplier of spare parts of electrical goods, got off an autorickshaw near her house at the crossing of Rifle Range Road and Broad Street near the Park Circus seven-point crossing. The youths work at a nearby takeaway, the complainant said.

When the husband protested, the youths allegedly punched and kicked him and two of them molested her in front of him. They fled after neighbours came to the couple’s rescue after hearing the commotion.

After the incident, the woman and her family members had gone to the police station and lodged a complaint.

Sajid was arrested when he came to the neighbourhood late at night and threatened the family and tried to hit her husband again in front of policemen. Sajid has been in custody since then but the police were unable to arrest the other three till late on Wednesday.

The family members of the 16-year-old Madhyamgram gang-rape victim, who died on Tuesday, had also faced similar consequences after they had lodged a complaint charging a group of youths with rape last October. The girl was abducted and raped a second time the next day while she was returning home with her father from the police station. Friends and relatives of the accused had threatened the teenager and her family to withdraw the complaint.

“After what happened to the girl in Madhyamgram, it has been difficult for me to gather courage and move out of my house alone. However, I will continue the fight and hope that the police will help me in my fight,” said the woman, shaken after the assault on Sunday night.

Her father-in-law said the police were not taking their complaint seriously. Police denied the allegations.

Rs 1.15 cr in trunk

Police recovered a locked iron trunk containing Rs 1.15 crore near Mishra’s in Salt Lake after it fell from a private bank’s car carrying cash for ATM machines across Salt Lake on Wednesday afternoon.

The police said the car door was not properly locked, as a result of which the trunk fell on the road when the vehicle hit a speedbreaker. Bank officials in the car realised the mishap when they reached an ATM kiosk. By the time they drove back, police had taken the trunk to Bidhannagar East police station.