The Telegraph
Wednesday , December 4 , 2013
CIMA Gallary

Majmudar in police custody for robbery

Parag Majmudar, the land broker arrested in connection with the 9A Short Street case, had paid Rs 1.5 crore to get the property vacated, the police lawyer submitted in a city court on Tuesday.

Lawyer Krishna Chandra Das also submitted that Majmudar was present outside the address while his men went on the rampage inside on September 15.

Till Monday, Majmudar was in judicial custody for the November 11 trespass on 9A Short Street that led to the gunning down of two bouncers. On Tuesday, he was remanded in police custody for four days in a case of robbery related to the September 15 attack. The robbery case was started on November 25.

The police said Majmudar was behind both attacks, aimed at getting the premises vacated.

Lawyer Das opposed Majmudar’s bail plea at Bankshall court, submitting that sleuths had gathered “vital evidence” against him from a statement recorded before a magistrate by co-accused Pinakesh Dutta, who is in judicial custody.

“According to the statement, Majmudar had paid Dutta Rs 1.5 crore in several installments between the first week of September and November 10 to get 9A vacated,” Das submitted.

The police have seized Rs 82 lakh from a bank locker in Dutta’s name. According to the prosecution, the money was part of the payment Dutta had received from Majmudar.

“Majmudar and another accused, Kaushik Sen, were present outside the compound during the September 15 attack. For the November 11 attack, Majmudar had paid Dutta Rs 75 lakh to hire a security agency,” said an investigating officer. The two bouncers who died on November 11 were part of a group allegedly sent by the security agency.

Defence lawyer Anirban Guha Thakurta pleaded against police custody on the grounds that his client had wanted to record his statement before a magistrate under Section 164 CrPC. “If remanded in police custody, he would not be able to record his statement in a free mind,” he submitted.

Acting chief metropolitan magistrate Biswanath Pramanik, however, rejected Guha Thakurta’s plea. Also on Tuesday, magistrate Pramanik remanded Rajesh Damani, another accused, in 14 days’ judicial custody.