The Telegraph
Wednesday , November 27 , 2013
CIMA Gallary

Robbery case against Majmudar

Police on Tuesday started a case of robbery and illegal possession of arms against Parag Majmudar, the land broker arrested on charges of organising the trespass on 9A Short Street that led to the death of two bouncers on November 11.

The fresh case is related to the September 15 attack on 9A, which Shakespeare Sarani police allegedly treated as a “minor incident”, as suggested by its decision not to arrest Majmudar or the other accused.

Shafique Ahmed — a guard hired by Mamta Agarwal, who runs a playschool at 9A — had lodged a complaint with the police station, accusing Majmudar of organising the earlier trespass with 60 armed men and assaulting the residents. Ahmed also stated that a licensed revolver, three mobile phones and Rs 17,000 were looted from the premises.

“Though Majmudar’s name figured in the FIR, officers did not act against him and treated the attack as a minor incident. Action has been taken against the officers concerned for favouritism. After the November 11 incident, we submitted a petition seeking the court’s consent to start a fresh case for the September 15 attack. The court has granted our appeal,” said a senior police officer.

The police produced in Bankshall court, where the case is being heard, photographs allegedly showing Majmudar and Trinamul activist Kaushik Sen outside 9A while hired men went on the rampage on September 15.

“During interrogation he has claimed to have knowledge of the gun that went missing from the premises,” public prosecutor Krishna Chandra Das submitted.

He produced medical certificates, signed by SSKM doctors, of four persons who were allegedly injured in the September 15 attack. They are Ratan Lal Nahata, allegedly occupying the property for years, Shafique Ahmed, Pramod Shaw, also a guard of the playschool, and school caretaker Akhil Halder.

Ahmed and Shaw are behind bars, along with Mamta, in connection with the gunning down of the bouncers, who were part of a group that had stormed the address on November 11 apparently in an attempt to vacate it.

Majmudar, 45, who had allegedly played conduit in the sale of 9A to industrialist Sanjay Sureka, was arrested at the city airport on November 13 and charged with trespassing, unlawful assembly and criminal conspiracy. He had been in police custody since.

Majmudar’s counsel pleaded for bail, submitting that he was not at 9A during the November 11 trespass and had no interest in the property as it had been sold to Sureka.

Public prosecutor Das opposed the plea and handed over to the court details of Majmudar’s bank transactions, copies of email conversations and two unregistered deeds.

He described Majmudar as the “key conspirator” and pleaded for his judicial custody in the November 11 case and police custody in the earlier case. Magistrate Viswaroop Sett remanded Majmudar in judicial custody for 14 and seven days, respectively. The magistrate, however, said the prayer for police custody would be considered on December 3.

Nahata discharged

Ratan Lal Nahata was discharged from hospital on Tuesday. He was admitted to Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals on November 16 with acute respiratory distress and infection in the lungs and urinary tract.