The Telegraph
Sunday , September 29 , 2013
CIMA Gallary

Mother dead, kids in hospital

Jamshedpur, Sept. 28: A 30-year-old homemaker was found dead at her Namda Basti residence in Golmuri hours after she allegedly offered poison-laced water to her children in the early hours of today.

Alka Singh’s husband Sanjay Kumar Singh, a 32-year-old transporter, claimed that she committed suicide while he was away at the hospital with the two children, who are now fine. However, the woman’s parents cried foul play, saying that Alka was killed for dowry. Police have detained Sanjay for interrogations.

According to local residents, the couple, who had been married for more than 13 years, used to often quarrel. On Friday night too, they had fought. Angry, the woman allegedly tried to kill her seven-year-old daughter Sameeksha and five-year-old son Siddharth by giving them poison mixed in water.

When the children started vomiting around 3am, Sanjay sought help from some neighbours, who, in turn, called up Golmuri police station, located around 1km from the single-storeyed house on Line No. 4 at Namda Basti.

Police soon reached the spot and rushed the children to Tata Main Hospital. Sanjay accompanied them, but Alka stayed back home. When the man returned around 4.30am, he apparently found his wife hanging from a ceiling fan in their bedroom.

However, when police came, they saw the body lying on the floor. “Sanjay claimed that he brought down the body with help from neighbours as they wanted to take her to hospital. We took her to Tinplate Hospital, but doctors declared her dead,” said Golmuri sub-inspector Yogeshwar Tiwari.

But the deceased’s parents, who reside in Bhagalpur, Bihar, refused to buy the suicide theory. Father M.P. Singh, who came to Jamshedpur after learning about Alka’s death, said: “My daughter was tortured for dowry. We saw her body and there were injury marks on her neck and back.”

DSP (city) K.N. Choudhary said two separate cases had been lodged.

“While Sanjay Kumar filed a compliant, saying his wife committed suicide after poisoning his two children, the woman’s parents lodged another case, accusing him of murder. We are waiting for the post-mortem report to arrive at a conclusion,” he said.