Shah Rukh Khan and Madhuri Dixit promote Chennai Express on the sets of a TV show in Mumbai on Wednesday. (PTI)
Mumbai, July 3: Mannat has a new member — Abram.
Gauri and Shah Rukh Khan’s baby boy, born through a surrogate mother, has spent most of his seven weeks in hospital but is back home now. His birth is in the process of being registered.
“Born to Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan, via a surrogate mother, the boy has been named Abram (a variant of Abraham). We have received necessary documents to register the birth,” said Manisha Mhaiskar, additional municipal commissioner, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
BMC sources said staff from Mannat, SRK’s seafront residence, had submitted all relevant papers about a week back. “The baby, born premature at 34 weeks on May 27, weighed 1.5kg at birth. The assisted birth took place at Andheri's Masrani Hospital for Women,” said a BMC official.
Shah Rukh today said the much-publicised birth was a “personal and confidential” matter for him.
“It is a personal and confidential matter... it is a mix of happiness and sadness. I request the authorities concerned to continue to enthusiastically investigate about my baby,” PTI quoted him as saying.
The actor had run into a controversy last month after a tabloid quoted a purported Mannat insider as saying that the baby the couple were expecting would be a boy. It had prompted the Maharashtra government to order a probe to see if a sex-selection test was done.
Gender testing is banned in the country under the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technique (PCPNDT) Act.
Today, a source close to the Khans said the report about the couple’s surrogate son came after he was born. “The information was not based on an illegal ultrasound,” the source said. “We knew it was a boy because he had already been born.”
A doctor at the hospital where Abram was born told The Telegraph that complications relating to premature birth necessitated a “ventouse” delivery. “His heart rate was non-reassuring before birth, so a vacuum device was used to help the baby out of the birth canal.”
After a month-long stint at Mumbai’s Nanavati Hospital and later at Breach Candy, the baby, the couple’s third child, returned home last week.
Sources at Breach Candy said the baby was admitted to the neo-natal intensive care unit on June 4 under the care of Dr Cyrus Contractor, a city paediatrician.
Gauri’s sister-in-law Namita Chibber was also admitted to the hospital on the same day under Dr Indira Hinduja, who had delivered India’s first test-tube baby in 1986.
Although it couldn’t be confirmed whether Namita was the surrogate mother, staff at Breach Candy hospital said her discharge form had Shah Rukh’s private number, not her or her husband’s cell numbers.
“SRK and Gauri were constant visitors of Namita. She was discharged on June 28. SRK would also visit the neo-natal ICU,” said a source at Breach Candy.
The source close to the Khans said their son Aryan, 15, who studies in a UK school, flew down to Mumbai to check out his little brother. “Gauri, SRK and the two elder kids are besotted with the baby right now. But they are not celebrating yet. The baby was a bit unwell after birth and needed intensive care. But now everything is okay and there will be a party at Mannat for the new-born after the release of Shah Rukh’s Chennai Express on August 8,” the source added.
The actor, who will be seen promoting Chennai Express on a reality show, has got invites to the media cancelled for the shoot of the episode. “Shah Rukh Khan wants to call a press conference to announce his surrogate baby. He does not want to face the media before that, given the controversy surrounding the supposed pre-birth sex-determination test,” the source said.
The BMC had sent a team to Shah Rukh’s residence on June 17 to ascertain the facts. “But the team was turned away, (after being told that) the actor and his wife were not at home,” additional commissioner Mhaiskar said.
On June 19, BMC executive health officer Dr Arun Bamane said the actor had spoken to civic officials the day before and denied making any statement that could suggest his third child would be a boy.