The Telegraph
Thursday , May 9 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Abducted duo found dead

Imphal, May 8: Two persons, allegedly abducted last month, were found dead in Saikul subdivision of Senapati district today, triggering tension at Nongpok Keithelmanbi in Imphal East district, from where they were kidnapped.

Police said Seitinlal Kipgen and Tongsat Haokip were abducted on April 29 and had remained untraced till villagers in Saikul spotted their bodies on a hill today.

Kipgen, 52, from Bongbal village of Sadar Hills in Senapati district, had been a resident of Nongpok Keithelmanbi for 10 years and owned a medicine store, while Haokip, 50, from Churachandpur district, was working as a carpenter in the area.

On being informed about the bodies this morning, police personnel and Kuki leaders rushed to the spot. They had to trek for nearly two hours to reach the recovery spot, as it was deep in the hills.

“We have confirmed that the bodies are of the abducted duo. They are highly decomposed and we cannot say anything about the murder weapon without the post mortem report,” a police officer who visited the spot said.

Police sources said going by the level of decomposition of the bodies, the duo must have been murdered within a couple of days after their abduction. The police, however, still have no clue of the motive behind the crime and the identity of the abductors.

The recovery of the bodies comes a day after several Kuki organisations, including the Kuki Inpi Manipur, Kuki Students Organisation, Thadou Students Association and the Kuki Women’s Union, threatened to launch an agitation if the duo were not released within 48 hours.

Chingmi Tammi Apunba Lup, a joint body of Nongpok Keithelmanbi-based organisations, had also submitted a memorandum to chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh a day after the two were abducted, urging him to take steps to rescue the duo.

The recovery of the bodies has angered Kuki organisations.

A spokesperson for Thadou Students Association said they would hold a meeting after their leaders returned from the spot. “We will discuss the matter and decide on the next course of action,” he added.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Status quo on panels
  • Dhubri protests girl's killing, seeks action
  • Plantation drive in Kokrajhar
  • Silchar, City triumph
  • May 16 date for gas plant closure
  • Two held in railway guard kidnap case
  • Tura office picketing over dam on Daribokgre
  • Bunty Devi in final
  • Abducted duo found dead
  • Two-wheel elixir for body, mind and nature
  • Meet on 'tap' liquor mystery
  • Smugglers flourish in absence of force
  • Meghalaya hikes power tariff by 7%
  • 2 suffer electric shock
  • NPF fails to decide on Mao recognition
  • Spartans have their day
  • Delhi for 1966 as NRC update cut-off
  • Villagers relocate to make way for jumbos