The Telegraph
Wednesday , February 27 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary


Q: My ward took admission in a college. When she got into another college of her choice she got her admission in the first college cancelled. She also requested a refund of the Rs 33,000 she had paid at the time of admission. However, all she got was a cheque for Rs 200. I have been told that institutions are bound to refund fees in such cases. Is there any court ruling that I can cite to seek the refund?

Prakash Dhupia, Calcutta

A: The Supreme Court has ruled that the student is also a consumer. Hence colleges and educational institutions are treated as service providers and may be made liable for deficiency of service. According to a national consumer disputes redressal commission ruling, made in the case of the College of Science and Technology, Andhra University, Vishakapatnam vs Janjanam Jagadeesh, an educational institution is bound to refund admission fees if the student opts out before a course has started.


Q:I am the nominee to my sisterís property in a co-operative housing society. She is single. What are the legal requirements for me to inherit this property after her demise?

Ashish Ranjan, via email

A: Since you are already the nominee, according to the West Bengal Co-operative Societies Act and Rules, you will inherit your sisterís property after her demise. This is provided you are eligible to be a member of the co-operative in keeping with the provisions of the act.


Q:My parents were the joint holders of all their savings accounts. After my father died intestate, my mother transferred all his savings to my only sister without my knowledge. Then she said that she intends to will the house, which is in her name, to me. Am I not entitled to a share in my fatherís moveable property too? Can I take the help of the Right to Information Act to know what amount has been transferred?

R. Mukherjee, Calcutta

A: Since your parentsí moveable assets were joint and probably on an ďeither or survivorĒ format, your mother was within her rights to transfer the joint savings to the person of her choice. The Right to Information Act does not allow the disclosure of personal information.