The Telegraph
Tuesday , January 22 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

4-man gang behind shooting

Three of the four assailants involved in Sunday’s daylight double murder at Mandar have been identified and FIRs registered against them. But none has been arrested so far.

The FIRs named Mandar resident Sarwar Quraishi, Sargaon resident Murshid Ansari and Hurhuri resident Indul Ansari as the ones who gunned down contractor Mohammed Noor and Kari Mansoor Ansari on Sunday.

The other accused is a friend of the three, making it a four-member gang (not five as reported) that pulled off the sensational crime which police say was a fallout of professional rivalry.

The feud was over collection of taxes from the local market, a service the men performed for Ranchi Corporation for a fee. Till last year, Sarwar was engaged in the operation at Mandar market until Noor took over.

The FIRs, lodged late on Sunday night, were based on the statement of Noor’s brother Julfikar Ali, who was present at the market at the time of the incident. He witnessed the murders and even recognised the killers.

Julfikar gave his statement to Mandar police at Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) where the bodies had been taken for post-mortem. An officer at Mandar police station claimed that since the accused had been identified, arrests would follow soon.

SP (rural) Asim Vikrant Minz said he had instructed his officers to raid possible hideouts and nab the offenders as early as possible. Till then, security had been beefed up in the area.

“Officer-in-charge of Mandar police station S.N. Singh has been asked to pay attention to regular patrolling and ensure peace,” he said.

According to the police, three used cartridges of a 9mm pistol had been recovered from the spot.

“I hope once the three named in the FIR are arrested, the unidentified accused would be nabbed soon,” a police officer said.

Noor (35) and Ansari (30) were shot dead in the market, about 27km from the Ranchi district headquarters, on Sunday afternoon. While Noor took three bullets in his forehead, a stray bullet hit Ansari.