The Telegraph
Tuesday , January 8 , 2013
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 15.20°C (+1)
Max : 21.20°C (-5)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 84.00% Min : 54.00%
Sunrise : 6:18 AM
Sunset : 5:10 PM
Morning mist/fog. Later mainly clear sky. Minimum temperature likely to be around 13°C.
CIMA Gallary

Officers transferred over Guddu FIR

The officer-in-charge of Karaya police station and his immediate superior, an assistant commissioner, were transferred on Monday afternoon in a belated bid at damage control, almost a week after Guddu, a young Karaya resident who had been protesting police’s alleged reluctance to pursue a minor’s rape complaint, died.

Both officers were found guilty of not dropping an FIR against Mir Amirul Islam alias Guddu after it was found to be false.

Guddu had set himself on fire in front of the police station on December 4 to protest the cops’ reluctance to register a rape case and alleged attempts to frame him for pursuing the matter.

“Karaya officer-in-charge Prasenjit Bhattacharya has been transferred to the Special Branch and Asim Ali has replaced him. Assistant commissioner Debasish Baidya has also been removed to Bhattacharya’s department. Bikash Chatterjee has taken Baidya’s place,” said special additional commissioner (headquarters) Jawed Shamim.

Guddu, in his late-20s, started uniting Karaya residents to protest the police’s refusal to lodge a rape complaint against Shahzada, who lived in the same area, on the basis of the girl’s complaint. Officers of Karaya police station registered a molestation case on October 31. The same day, Shahzada’s wife lodged an FIR at the police station accusing Guddu of ransacking their house and taking away Rs 1 lakh.

On December 4, Guddu set himself ablaze outside the police station. Two days later, the police converted the molestation case into a rape case and arrested Shahzada.

A senior officer at Lalbazar said: “An OC knows about every case lodged with his police station as he has to sign the FIRs. It is his duty to ask his officers to determine the veracity of a complaint. OC Karaya was supposed to drop the complaint against Guddu as it was not genuine.”

Similarly, assistant commissioner Baidya was supposed to oversee the cases registered in police stations under his jurisdiction.

“He (Baidya) should have been monitored the complaint lodged by Shahzada’s wife and directed the OC to withdraw the case as Guddu was being framed,” said the officer at the police headquarters.

Senior officers, led by joint commissioner Tripurari, had visited Guddu’s house on January 3.

Guddu’s brother Anwar Izhar said: “We welcome the transfers but we want to see the two sub-inspectors and one constable of Karaya police station whom we have accused of abetting my brother’s suicide behind bars.” The three cops are suspended.

In 2007, Karaya police had come under the scanner for their role in the death of Rizwanur Rahman.