The Telegraph
Saturday , December 29 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

DNA test plan after forensic report

District police are planning to go ahead with a DNA test of Nobha Chakravarty’s parents after a forensic report on Friday confirmed that a decomposed body found near the missing girl’s home last month is of a female aged between 13 and 15 years.

Thirteen-year-old Nobha went missing from her Jawaharlal Road home on September 19. On November 26, a decomposed body was recovered in the neighbourhood. It was sent to the forensic laboratory in Patna for tests.

Senior superintendent of police Rajesh Kumar on Friday said: “The forensic report has arrived. It confirms that the body belongs to a girl aged between 13 and 15. Now, we want to conduct DNA tests on Nobha’s parents Atul Chakravarty and Maitri to confirm if it is the missing girl’s body.”

A police team was sent to Atul for his approval of undergoing the DNA tests but he apparently refused to co-operate with the police. On the other hand, Atul accused the investigating officers of not catching the kidnappers of his daughter. “I have informed the police about the land mafia that wanted to take possession of my ancestral property and kidnapped my daughter to put pressure on me,” he said. “But the police have been very slack in investigating the case.”

Three suspects — Shyam Patel, Sudip Chakravarty and Bablu — have been arrested and are lodged at Khudiram Bose Memorial Central Jail. The police, however, claim that interrogating them has not revealed any leads. Atul said: “I don’t know what the police are doing. They are only interested in mapping my house property rather than finding my daughter. Land officers of Mushahri block have mapped my house thrice in the presence of police officers.”

He has planned to seek intervention from national leaders. “I have requested the President, the Prime Minister, the Union home minister and the National Human Rights Commission chairman to help recover my daughter.”

The SSP had earlier sought a CID probe. The district police officers also went to New Delhi and Bengal to find out if Nobha had run away to homes of relatives there.