The Telegraph
Wednesday , December 19 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 16.60°C (+3)
Max : 26.40°C (-1)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 94.00% Min : 42.00%
Sunrise : 4:57 AM
Sunset : 6:12 PM
Mainly clear sky. Minimum temperature may be 14°C.
CIMA Gallary

Godown blaze stalls traffic

A blaze gutted a Tiljala Road godown stocked with consumer durables and brought traffic to a halt on the Park Circus Bypass connector for half an hour on Tuesday afternoon.

Around 2.15pm, residents of Dara Para noticed smoke and flame coming out of the locked godown at the end of a blind alley and started evacuating people from the two buildings in the lane.

“The blaze was huge, so we started evacuation as a precautionary measure,” said a youth from the locality.Eight fire engines took two hours to bring the blaze under control in the 750sq ft godown filled with refrigerators, air-conditioners and microwave ovens. According to fire department officers, safety measures were not in place in the godown.

Cops restricted traffic on Tiljala Road, which is used by many autorickshaws and vehicles to enter Topsia, to facilitate the movement of fire engines.

“We wanted to ensure easy passage for not just fire engines but also ambulances, in case people were injured. As a result of the traffic restriction, autorickshaws started using the Bypass connector to turn right into Topsia. That brought the Science City-bound traffic to a halt and the impact was felt up to the seven-point crossing,” said a sergeant, who was on duty in the area.

Traffic movement in the area remained slow even after Tiljala Road was opened around 3pm as a major part of it was occupied by the fire engines that were used to douse the flames.

“The entire stock of consumer durables in the godown was damaged in the fire,” said a fire department officer.

A new stock of refrigerators, air-conditioners and microwave ovens had arrived at the godown on Saturday. The owners were to shift the stock to their retail outlet CIT Road on Wednesday.

Md Wasim, one of the owners, said: “The units were kept here since there was no space in our showroom. It seems the entire stock has been damaged,” he said. He did not want to reveal the loss in monetary terms.