The Telegraph
Monday , December 17 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Stepson hand in triple murders

Patna, Dec. 16: The retired state government employee, whose second wife and two daughters were found murdered at their Indrapuri residence, today said one of his sons from his first marriage had killed the trio.

Deputy inspector-general (DIG), central range, Sunil Kumar said the retired official, Gopal Sharan Singh, revealed to the police after arriving in the state capital that his son Rintu alias Devesh had killed the trio. “Efforts are on to nab Rintu,” the DIG said, adding that the statement of Singh would be verified.

Singh, who had gone to Delhi on Friday evening, returned to the state capital this evening. He was immediately taken into custody for interrogation. “Senior officers interrogated him,” an investigating officer said.

The retired employee was taken to his single-storey home under the jurisdiction of Patliputra police station later. The hammer used to kill the trio — Aneela and her two daughters, Sonali and Poornima — was recovered from there.

The investigating officer said Singh would be allowed to perform the last rites of the deceased despite being in the police custody.

“The role of Singh in the gruesome killings is being verified,” the officer said, adding that Rintu had left his cellphone in New Delhi while coming here to commit the crime to mislead the police.

A two-member city police team camping in New Delhi raided the rented accommodation of Rintu under the jurisdiction of Yamunapuri police station in New Delhi on Saturday but he was not there. Nor his brother Rinku could be located.

“The team headed by a sub-inspector was sent to Delhi by a plane on Saturday,” said Kumar, the DIG.

The police initially suspected Singh, and his two sons with his first wife (now dead) — Rinku and Rintu — masterminded the murders of Aneela and her two daughters.

Singh was on his way to New Delhi on Saturday, the day the triple murder case came to the light. Though police contacted him when he was about to reach Kanpur, he preferred to continue with his journey to the national capital.

Officials associated with the investigation said Singh and Rintu had left for New Delhi by Rajdhani Express from Patna on Friday evening. Singh tried to mislead the police by saying he had gone to Delhi alone. On being pestered, he admitted that Rintu had accompanied him to the national capital.

 More stories in Bihar

  • Sick sugar mill set to reopen
  • Brace for gloomy mornings
  • State plea to probe cash scam
  • Doctors' strike
  • Hooligan tag on tech students
  • Anxious wait for state allies
  • Unity in diversity on annual day stage
  • Health policy for speciality hospitals
  • Buddha park facelift for global seminar
  • Murder protest
  • Stepson hand in triple murders
  • Gang names fox police
  • Time and hassle burn out British-era fireplaces
  • Home truth at home and away