The Telegraph
Saturday , December 8 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Murdered woman identified

- Sit-in to demand justice

Imphal, Dec. 7: The body of a murdered woman was identified three days after it was cremated by the government authorities in Imphal as an unclaimed one.

Lourembam Nilabir of Imphal identified the body as that of his wife, Lourembam Memchoubi Devi, 48, from the garments and photographs taken by the police.

Relatives and neighbours today staged a sit-in at Haobam Marak, the area where the couple lived, to demand a proper police investigation into the case and punishment for the culprits.

Morning joggers discovered the body of the woman with her throat slit near the Langol Games village in Imphal West on November 30 morning.

The police said the recovery of the body was widely reported in the local media, as the incident occurred during the International Fortnight against Crimes against Women, which began on November 25.

They said no one turned up even after they issued a statement in the local media announcing that the body would be cremated as unclaimed.

Finally, the body was cremated with the permission of the authorities.

Lourembam Nilabir, the husband of the woman, identified the body yesterday after seeing the garments and photographs of the body preserved by the police for investigation.

Nilabir Singh and his wife stayed alone at their Haobam Marak house after their only daughter was married off. The husband is a carpenter while the wife was a small trader at Moreh and Imphal.

According to the husband and neighbours, Memchoubi Devi visited Moreh town regularly for business and spent one or two days there.

According to them, Memchoubi left home in the afternoon of November 29 after two phone calls to her cell phone and did not return.

Nilabir Singh said he thought his wife had gone to Moreh and stayed there as usual. Therefore, he did not search for her immediately. But when she did not return even yesterday, he called her parents and their daughter to enquire if they had heard anything.

The husband said Memchoubi also stayed frequently at her daughter’s house for two to three days in the past.

He came to know about the recovery of a body from Langol from his friends and went to Lamphel police station to see the details of the body and identified her, the secretary of the local youth club, T. Dinachandra Singh, said.

The police questioned the husband when he came to the police station for details of the body. They are yet to recover the woman’s cell phone.

“We could not give any clue to the identity or motive of the murderers. But we want a thorough investigation and punishment for the culprits,” Dinachandra Singh demanded.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Centre admits industry lapse
  • Festivities without fireworks
  • Kalita plea
  • Poachers kill another rhino
  • Assam bundled out for 157
  • Protest over coal de-allocation
  • Splendid end to Hornbill fest
  • Assam XI to be announced today
  • Gibbon family finds new home
  • Air force solves road impasse
  • Chilarai Sena warns govt over ST status
  • Soccer diplomacy calms border nerves
  • Assam hotbed of child trafficking
  • Murdered woman identified
  • No longer safe in habitat