The Telegraph
Friday , November 30 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Two killed in twin mishaps

The state capital witnessed two fatal accidents on Thursday morning— one on railway tracks and the other on road.

A 38-year-old primary school teacher was mowed down by a train at Namkum railway crossing under the Government Railway Police (GRP) station, Ranchi.

Rajan Prasad Sahu, who used to teach at Chakradharpur Primary School, was hit by Allepey-Dhanbad Express around 9.30am. However, it is not clear how exactly Sahu came under the train. Railway police also failed to shed much light.

“We came to know that a man was crushed by the train around 10am. We recovered the body and sent it to RIMS for post-mortem after registering a case of unnatural death. We cannot say anything more unless we get the details,” said assistant sub-inspector K.S. Sharma.

However, unconfirmed reports said that Sahu was a resident of Ayodhyapuri in Dipatoli area. He was married and had a daughter and a son. “He was noticed hovering near the railway tracks a few minutes before he was found dead, which suggested that he might have committed suicide,” said an eyewitness.

In the other incident that took place around 6am, a 25-year-old labourer, Bacha Ahir alias Arjun Mahto, was crushed to death by a speeding trailer at Bhusur in the Tupudana police station area.

Mahto was going to a factory at Tupudana from his residence at Rorokocha in Namkum on his bike when the incident took place, triggering protests from local residents who blocked Tupudana-Namkum ring road for two hours.

“The trailer was headed towards Namkum while the motorbike was coming from the opposite direction. Both were in high speed. Suddenly, the trailer’s driver lost control and hit the motorbike, which came under its wheels,” said an eyewitness.

The driver fled, leaving behind the vehicle. Soon after the mishap, angry local residents swooped on the road and started throwing stones at the trailer. Some of them also wanted to set the vehicle on fire, but was prevented from doing so as police rushed to the spot. The agitators then laid a siege to Tupudana-Namkum ring road from 7am to 9am, demanding a compensation of Rs 5 lakh.

The blockade was lifted only after Rs 3,000 was paid for performing the victim’s last rites and other assistance was promised. “The trailer has been seized and the body sent for post-mortem,” said officer in charge of Tupudana police station Krishna Murari.