Katrina Kaif plays the oh-so-glam Meera, a rich spoilt brat who is the apple of her father’s eye. Her every wish is his (Anupam Kher) command, and to honour him and his generosity, she agrees to marry a suitor of his choice. Samar Anand, played by Shah Rukh Khan, is her lover but he’s not her father’s choice. Meera Thapar makes a promise to Jesus to walk away from Samar, provided Jesus keeps her lover safe. From her first to her last appearance, Meera’s fashion was very clean and crisp. Be it her first appearance in a Manish Malhotra coral lehnga with a red patent leather jacket with fur trimmings (to battle the London cold), or the closing scene in a full white Manish Malhotra churidar suit, this Bolly goddess looked drop-dead gorgeous.
t2 tracks her on-screen style.
1. Pop shades. We saw approximately 32 wardrobe changes, and with each look came a fresh colour in a pop shade. With only three spottings of black, the hues that made us drool were of the fun shade-card — lime green, bright green, citrus orange, canary yellow, sky blue, midnight blue, blood red, baby pink, champagne, gold and beige.
2. Trench coats. Despite her privileged upbringing, this London girl was a true Christian and played her part in serving the less fortunate. And through all her weekly visits to church, senior citizens’ homes, children’s shelters or even the regular Tuesdays in the cold serving food to the homeless, Meera was always well-clad in layers. Her trench coats were a real dream — double-breasted, monotone and the perfect fit!
3. One-shoulder hairdo. Now here’s how we know Katrina’s truly stepped out of her comfort zone and dived into character. For the woman who has soft curls to her name, seeing her in a one-shoulder pony was a welcome change. And that’s not all; she went on to flaunt a bouffant, a slick back pony and also double-side twists. She had us tied up in knots!
4. Waist belts. Yes, we saw her in layers, but never in separates. Kat slipped on classic midi-length bodycons and accentuated her look with sleek thin waist belts. The one that really left a mark for us was during her confessions at church in a bright tangerine bodycon with a sequin silver belt and her hair neatly pulled back. So simple, so stunning!
5. Crop tops. It’s a night out, and Meera has been told by lover Samar to let her hair down and not be in constant fear of how she may be perceived by others. Taking his advice all too seriously, she slips into a black crop top with a black short net-and-lace skirt and layers up with a patent leather red crop jacket and grooves to the beats of Ishq Shava. We love! Not only did she dress to impress, she also embraced the smokey-eye look. So unlike Kat!
6. Stripes. Unfortunately, we only saw her in this micro-trend once; but the outfit was so well coordinated that it is definitely worth a mention. On a perfect London afternoon on the green grass of Hyde Park, Kat picnics in the marine shades of blue-and-white stripes with a brown belt and a hot pink scarf. So wow!
7. Sheer bottoms. You’ve seen the sheer palazzos, now welcome the sheer patialas. Trust MM to take a spin on Indian wear — we love the colour blocking via the pink kurta (sorry, this picture ends here) with bronze embroidery paired with sheer sky-blue patiala pants. Pink and blue have always been a dependable colour-block but lately women have been avoiding the combo and going bold. Seeing the shades back together on screen was a treat.
8. Sequins. It’s got a low-cut back. It’s in a flirty baby doll cut. And it’s the uber delicious bling-bling. What’s not to love about Meera in this sequin mini dress? Smokin’ hot!
Discovery channel intern Anushka Sharma was the complete opposite of richie rich Katrina Kaif. Akira Rai, a national-level swimmer, state-level tennis player and deep-sea diver, was all about being cool, casual and sporty. Her appearances did not go beyond a tank top, cargo bottoms with a broad belt, printed scarf and Converse shoes ó not to miss those bright, always-visible bra straps. Sometimes we saw her in shorts, sometimes we caught her in baggy jeans and sometimes she swapped the scarf for a chic fedora. Whether she was camping with the Indian Army for two weeks in Jammu, playing football, river rafting, participating in a flat race, rope climbing over turbulent mountain waters or trying to patch SRK up with his lady love in London ó her style didnít shift an inch.