The Telegraph
Tuesday , October 30 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

‘Death’ cons kidnap trio

A 10-year-old Dhanbad boy, abducted by his land broker father’s business colleague and two others on Sunday morning, was luckily reunited with his family in less than 24 hours because his kidnappers, who hit him on the head with a boulder, abandoned him thinking he was dead.

Shubham Kumar is, currently, being treated at Central Hospital in the town and doctors said he was out of danger. All the three culprits, including key accused Naresh Prasad Sao, have been arrested.

This bizarre lost-and-found case is a grim reminder of the August 17 abduction of Class VIII DAV Centenary Public School student Saurabh Sharma. Only, Saurabh wasn’t as fortunate. His body was found two days later.

A fourth grader of Loyola Public School, Shubham was whisked away from near his Kolakusma house by Sao and his aides — Yogendra Kumar Rajbhar and Akhtar, alias Feku — around noon on Sunday.

The boy’s father, Ravindra Kumar Sinha — a security guard at a private company who doubles up as broker, had recently fallen out with his business partner and neighbour Sao over a land deal, and suspected his hand in the kidnap. Sinha lodged a complaint with Saraidhela police.

A lesson learnt from the Saurabh case, police swung into action and detained Sao and his aides. Interrogation revealed that the trio had abandoned Shubham in the jungles of Logharia in Tundi, 40km from Kolakusma. A police team, led by DSP Amit Kumar, rescued the injured child around 1.30am on Monday.

Dhanbad SP Ravi Kant Dhan said besides arresting the three accused, they had also seized three mobile phones and the car used in the kidnap.

Speaking to The Telegraph, a relieved Sinha said Sao was angry over a land deal. “We were brokering a deal for eight acres in Baliapur. I was representing the seller and he (Sao) the buyer. He wanted a share from my commission. Since I was not willing, my son was taken,” Sinha said.

Dhan said Sao tried to kill the boy with a boulder. “When the child collapsed, Sao thought he was dead. So, he dumped him in Tundi and fled.”

The SP added that police would ensure speedy trial and conviction of the accused.

 More stories in Jharkhand

  • Trick or treat in Diwali mithai?
  • Splurge this Diwali on art with soul
  • Colts shine, seniors don't
  • Lens on Godda job scheme
  • TVNL fault blacks out 14 districts
  • 'Odd' pleas stump Ram
  • Fresh HC prod on Mousumi trial
  • Balmuchu camp sulks
  • 'Death' cons kidnap trio
  • Munda's hiss at CSR meet
  • Two rebel couriers held
  • A fair chance for festive shopping
  • Liquor seized from cinema
  • No takers for RMC notice
  • Catholic priest hangs self
  • Child-friendly thana cops out
  • Protests greet central team
  • Ajoy Kumar