The Telegraph
Saturday , October 13 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Thrash protest lock on school

Balurghat, Oct. 12: A Sishu Shiksha Kendra here was locked up for more than three hours this morning to protest the caning of a boy by a teacher yesterday.

The 10-year-old student had to be hospitalised and was released this morning.

The centre at Tulsipara, 14km from here, was reopened after the accused teacher apologised to the boy’s parents.

Class IV student Rohit Barman was allegedly beaten up by teacher Niyati Sarkar yesterday when he used a slang in response to a question. Sarkar allegedly thrashed the boy with a cane and made him stand in the sun.

“Rohit was talking to a boy when the teacher entered the classroom. She asked him the meaning of tula (cotton). But Rohit did not answer. When the teacher scolded him, he used slang language. The teacher got annoyed and beat him up. Rohit was also asked to stand in the sun. He fainted after half-an-hour,” said Mrinal Barman, another student.

The school authorities informed the boy’s parents and he was taken to the Balurghat district hospital.

After Rohit was released this morning his parents and some local people went to the centre and demanded an apology from the teacher.

When Sarkar refused, angry residents locked up the centre and gheraoed the teachers.

The centre has around 100 students from Classes I to IV. Three teachers hold the classes.

Today, the school was shut for more than three hours from 10.45am and no classes were held.

Rohit’s mother Bishakha Barman said: “I do not believe that Rohit had used slang. It is a cooked up story to hide her (Sarkar’s) guilt. The teacher has every right to thrash a student if he is guilty. But in this case, my son was not guilty.”

She alleged that the teacher was ill tempered and often beat up the students.

The centre was reopened after Sarkar apologised to the boy’s parents.

“I scolded him and beat him up a bit. But it was not so severe that the boy had to be hospitalised. This was deliberately done. Today when I came to the school, the guardians asked for an explanation. It was never my intention to hurt the boy. Under pressure, I have tendered an apology,” said Sarkar.