The Telegraph
Saturday , October 13 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Murder finger at Trinamul

Midnapore, Oct. 12: The CPM in West Midnapore’s strife-torn Garbeta has alleged that one of its workers was killed by Trinamul activists early today, the claim refuted by relatives and police who said he died after falling off a tree.

CPM leaders also alleged that over 30 of its supporters were injured when bike-born Trinamul workers attacked the houses of two CPM activists in Garbeta, which has witnessed several party clashes in the past.

“Chittaranjan Rakshit (Bormuda branch committee member) was beaten to death in his house. He was hit on the head and legs and died on the way to Bankura Medical College and Hospital,” a CPM worker said.

The police and Rakshit’s relatives, however, said he died after falling off a tree. According to nephew Arun, “My uncle died after he fell from a tree. There was no attack in our house.”

In Gilaboni, also in Garbeta, two relatives of a CPM leader were allegedly attacked by Trinamul workers for taking part in a rally against the ruling party.

Jharna Hazra, the sister-in-law of Dhadika CPM committee secretary Kiriti Hazra, suffered bullet injuries and another relative was beaten up with sticks.

The police said Jharna was operated upon and the bullet removed from her stomach at Midnapore Medical College and Hospital while the other relative was released after first-aid

Jharna said: “At least 50 bike-borne Trinamul workers barged into our house and started beating up everybody with rifle butts. They snatched my sister-in-law Champarani’s earrings and ransacked furniture and looted valuables within reach. Before leaving, they said the attack was because we had taken part in a CPM rally.”

Meghnad Bhunia, a West Midnapore CPM district secretariat member, said the Trinamul’s armed attacks started last afternoon because “our men mustered the courage to reopen some of the party offices at Kadra, Uttarbil and Sandhipur”.

District Trinamul president Dinen Roy said the CPM was trying to create tension in an “otherwise peaceful” Garbeta.

“Criminals had led the procession to open CPM offices yesterday. The people of Garbeta did not join it. In protest, they brought out a peace rally this morning. Our men did not attack anybody,” Roy said.

District superintendent of police Sunil Chowdhury said patrolling had been intensified in the area and they were looking for the youths allegedly involved in the attack. “The situation is under control,” Chowdhury claimed.