The Telegraph
Tuesday , October 9 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 25.40°C (+0)
Max : 33.60°C (+1)
Rainfall : 10.70 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 93.00% Min : 68.00%
Sunrise : 5:32 AM
Sunset : 5:17 PM
Rain or thundershower may occur.
CIMA Gallary

HC stands by couple

The high court on Monday stood by a newly-wed couple under threat from the wife’s family and asked New Market police to ensure they safely boarded a train home to Patna.

The division bench of Justice Ashim Kumar Roy and Justice Dipak Saha Ray gave the order after the lawyer representing husband Irshad Alam, accused of kidnapping his wife before marrying her, submitted that an in-law had threatened to kill his client.

Justice Roy asked the police to find out the in-law and produce him before the bench.

The police and lawyers chased the man, who sources said had left the courtroom when Alam’s lawyer was making the submission about the “threat”, but failed to catch him. When the police informed the court that the man had fled, Justice Roy said: “The bride and groom both are adults and have the right to live a happy married life. New Market police will have to ensure that the couple safely board a train for Patna.”

After the court order, the police brought a jeep from New Market police station and escorted the couple to Howrah station.

Patna resident Alam and Farha Nur, whose father is a trader at New Market, got married on February 18 under the Muslim Marriage Act. Irshad, who runs a business in Patna, had met Nur when she had gone to her maternal uncle’s house on the outskirts of the Bihar capital in July 2007.

Irshad and his six relatives had moved the high court for anticipatory bail following a complaint lodged by Nur’s father with New Market police station on August 11, alleging that the accused had abducted his minor daughter.

When the case came up for hearing last week, the bench asked Irshad and Nur to appear before it. The couple turned up before the bench on Monday and in reply to a query from Justice Roy, Nur said she was 20 and had willingly married Irshad.

The bench, after going through Nur’s age proof, observed that the marriage was legal and asked the couple to go home. While the couple was heading towards the gate of the courtroom, one of Irshad’s in-laws allegedly threatened to kill him.

The petitioners’ lawyer immediately brought the matter to the bench’s attention. The bench then ordered the police to ensure the couple’s security and said: “If you face any problem from the other side, come to us. We will see.”