The Telegraph
Friday , October 5 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Three held for Brar attack

Brar at Mumbai airport on Wednesday. (PTI)

London, Oct. 4: Scotland Yard has moved swiftly to arrest three people — two men and one woman —- in connection with the attempted murder of retired Lt General Kuldip Singh Brar in London late on Sunday, it was announced tonight.

A statement from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) said: “Officers from the MPS have this evening arrested two men and one woman on suspicion of conspiracy to murder in connection with the investigation into the attempted murder of an Indian man in central London on 30 September.”

It added: “One man (A) age 33 and the woman (B) age 40 were arrested at a residential address in Wolverhampton at approx 17:00 hrs. A further man (C) aged in his 30s was arrested at approx 17:30 hrs after being stopped in a car on a street in West Bromwich.”

It is not known whether a mobile phone apparently dropped by the would-be assailants helped police track the men down. Four “bearded men” had attacked Brar and cut him in the neck, leaving him with injuries that were “serious but not life threatening”.

Brar, who had participated in Operation Bluestar in 1984, has returned to India with his wife.

Scotland Yard said: “All three (suspects) are being taken to a central London police station where they will be interviewed by detectives. Inquiries are ongoing and police continue to appeal for information into the incident.”

The statement recalled: “Police were called at approx 22:40 hrs to reports of a man assaulted in Old Quebec Street, W1, near the junction with Oxford Street. The victim, an Indian national who is visiting London, was with his wife when they were approached by four men. He was assaulted with what is believed to be a knife or sharp implement and suffered a wound on his neck. His wife was not injured in the attack.”

It went on: “The four men are described as being of Asian appearance, and were wearing dark clothing and long black jackets. They all had long beards. One of the men is described as younger and slimmer than the other three. They all fled in the direction of Oxford Street. Officers and London Ambulance Service attended the scene and discovered a man, aged 78, suffering from an injury believed caused by a knife or sharp implement. He was taken to hospital where he received treatment and was later discharged.”

The police said: “Detectives are keen to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time or who may have information about the incident. In particular, they want to speak to those people who assisted the wife and the victim at the scene following the attack. Any witnesses or anyone with information can contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”