The Telegraph
Tuesday , September 4 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Youth killed in blast, cops clueless

Imphal, Sept. 3: A 23-year-old youth, Sanabam Chonjon, was killed when a bomb exploded under mysterious circumstances at his house in Nongkok Keithelmanbi under Yairpok police station in Thoubal district early this morning.

Police said the bomb exploded when Chonjon was collecting his fishing rod and bait placed at the side verandah of his house for a fishing trip at 6.30am. He always kept the materials there.

The police could not say whether it was a grenade or an improvised explosive device (IED), but said it looked more like a grenade by the nature of the injury and the scene of the blast site.

Chonjon’s face, left leg, shoulders and palms were badly damaged.

The police could neither say how the bomb exploded nor whether the bomb was already there or some one had hurled it.

The family, however, believed someone hurled the bomb.

The site of the blast was between the victim’s house and a neighbouring house, which is very close.

Chonjon was the primary bread earner of the family and supported it by fishing and working in sand and stone quarries after his father died a year back.

“After losing my husband now I have been made to suffer the pain of losing my eldest son. Why did you kill my son?” the mother, Inaobi Devi, wailed near the body of her son. “We are investigating the case and cannot immediately say how the bomb exploded,” a police officer said at the spot.

Residents of Nongkok Keithelmanbi formed a joint action committee and demanded punishment for those responsible for the blast and financial aid to the bereaved family.

After local MLA Th. Shyamkumar Singh assured the committee that he would take up the matter with Manipur chief minister Okram Ibobi Singh and promised that the demands would be fulfilled, the committee decided to take back the body after post-mortem at the mortuary of Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal.

Red wood: Police’s special investigation unit today seized red wood valued at Rs 1 crore from a house at Samurou in Imphal West. The police arrested a transporter named Anand Prasad of Mantri-pukhri on the outskirts of Imphal city.

The police said the red wood consignment originated from Chennai and was about to be transported to Myanmar via Moreh in Manipur.

 More stories in Northeast

  • Asam Sahitya Sabha top official sued
  • Confidence-building drive from September 6
  • Police arrest FCI 2-2
  • A unique journey: music to politics
  • Anouba blast Eastern 5-1
  • Nagaland troupe wows club
  • Trauma and peace portrayed in mobile theatre
  • Plan to create homes in south
  • Remedy for northwest trouble
  • Youth killed in blast, cops clueless
  • Farmers reap sweet fruits of labour
  • Abhiruchi Day observed
  • Blow to connectivity, money goes up in air
  • Fieangpui drub Khulkhon
  • Parallel bid for Majuli heritage tag
  • Groups press for inner-line permit
  • Thangmeiband claim top slot
  • UDLA suspect in trader abduction
  • Incense route to empower women