The Telegraph
Saturday , August 4 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Mob attacks police station

A mob went on the rampage at Rajabagan police station on Friday morning, throwing stones at windows and damaging police vehicles, to protest alleged cop inaction after a Trinamul Congress councillor’s daughter died following a clash.

The violence, in which three policemen were injured, a police vehicle was wrecked and another torched, was unleashed in two phases — inside the police station complex and later a few metres outside.

According to sources, a contingent of Rapid Action Force (RAF) that was at the police station during the incident, did not tackle the mob following instructions from the Lalbazar police headquarters, which was keen to avoid “excesses”.

On Sunday afternoon, Trinamul Congress councillor Moinul Haque Chowdhury’s daughter Sahanara Chowdhury, 24, and her father-in-law Shahjahan Mondal, 65, were injured in a clash with some of their relatives over the construction of a drain near their Akra Road homes.

Sahanara’s elder brother Sadrul said he took his sister and Mondal to the police station, where the cops made them wait four hours but did not lodge a case of “attempt to murder” against the attackers.

Police said a case was started against 13 persons in connection with the clash on the basis of statements by the victims.

Within half an hour of Sahanara’s death in an Ekbalpore nursing home around 1am on Friday, her relatives attacked the police station complaining about bail being given to the 13 accused, said a police officer.

The police said the mob shattered the windowpanes of a police vehicle, damaged a motorcycle and pelted stones at the police station before being driven out.

Around 8.30am, a group of people set a police vehicle on fire near Safi Katgola, a few metres from the police station, after injuring three policemen.

“There was adequate manpower to contain at least the second attack. Instead of utilising RAF, which specialises in handling such situations, reinforcement was sought from adjoining police stations,” said an officer on condition of anonymity.

Till late on Friday, no one was arrested in connection with the mob attack.

In May, no one was arrested after a group of 150-odd men had stormed into Ekbalpore police station and allegedly assaulted the officer-in-charge in front of his subordinates.

The mob wanted a man arrested on the charge of gambling to be released.