The Telegraph
Tuesday , July 10 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 26.40°C (+0)
Max : 33.50°C (+1)
Rainfall : 26.20 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 95.00% Min : 76.00%
Sunrise : 5:0 AM
Sunset : 6:25 PM
One or two spells of rain or thundershower.
Maximum temperature likely to be around 33°C.
CIMA Gallary

3 days on, campus rogues still at large

Two officials of West Bengal State University on Monday visited the Berachampa college where examinees had assaulted college staff amid campus grumbles that police had done nothing to arrest the culprits, even three days after the violence.

Arunasish Goswami and Dilip Bhattacharya from the university visited Chandraketugarh Sahidulla Smriti Mahavidyalaya, where several examinees from Basirhat College had thrashed nine teachers and one non-teaching employee for not being allowed to cheat during their Part-I Sanskrit paper.

The officials saw evidence of violence — broken furniture, smashed window panes and damaged ceiling fans.

During their two-hour visit, the university officials spoke to staff and students to get a clear account of what had happened that day. Teachers and students at the college were unhappy at the role of the Deganga police. Leave alone arrests, the culprits haven’t yet been identified 72 hours after the incident.

This, despite chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s statement on Saturday that “necessary instructions” had been given to the police.

“What message do the cops want to send the attackers?” a student demanded.

The police have sent the authorities of Basirhat College a list of roll numbers of their students who had written the exam from the Berachampa campus. The college authorities have been asked to provide their names and addresses.

When asked why no action had been taken against the accused, an officer of Deganga police station said: “We are waiting for the list of names and addresses.” Another officer said they hadn’t received any instruction to bring the culprits to book “either from superiors or from the chief minister’s office”.

A section of senior district officers, however, suspected the delay was deliberate. “The Deganga police should have just gone to Basirhat College and interrogated some Part-I examinees,” said an officer. “The names of the culprits would easily have emerged.”

Vice-chancellor Kaushik Gupta said: “We’ll get the officials’ report on Tuesday. It will be placed before the university council, which will decide what action to take.”