The Telegraph
Friday , June 22 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Security for lawyer after court attack

Malda, June 21: Police today posted five armed guards in front of the office of public prosecutor Asitbaran Chowdhury after his allegation yesterday that Englishbazar MLA Krishnendu Chowdhury manhandled him in court.

Asitbaran had asked for protection from the district superintendent of police in writing yesterday.

In his complaint to district police chief Jayanta Pal, Asitbaran alleged that Krishnendu and some other people had shoved him in court in the presence of the district judge and threatened him with dire consequences if he refused to withdraw a murder case pending against the MLA, who is also a lawyer.

Krishnendu is one of the accused in the murder of Citu leader Prabal Ghosh who was hacked to death at Rathbari in Malda on May 28, 1997.

“Krishnendu threatened me with dire consequences…. This morning, I found five policemen standing in front of my office. They have also provided an armed guard,” Asitbaran said.

The executive committee of the Malda district bar association that met yesterday after the alleged manhandling of the public prosecutor could not arrive at any conclusion. Its secretary Haidar Ali said the general body would meet on June 28 to decide on the course of action involving the two lawyers, Asitbaran and Krishnendu.

The MLA denied the charge that he had attacked Asitbaran and stuck to his allegation that the public prosecutor had demanded a bribe of Rs 5 lakh to withdraw the case against him.

“Law minister Malay Ghatak has told me that he himself had asked the public prosecutor to send him the case records as the state government was eager to withdraw the case against me. But the public prosecutor was sitting on the case records and didn’t respond to the minister’s order,” said Krishnendu.

District police chief Jayanta Pal said they were not treating the written complaint filed by Asitbaran as an FIR and were awaiting a complaint from the district court.

“We have started an investigation. We have to move cautiously as the alleged incident took place in the district judge’s courtroom,” Pal said.