Cuttack, May 9: Around 50,000 policemen — havildars, constables and sepoys — in Odisha are threatening to go on an indefinite mass leave if their grievances against additional director general (ADG) of the Odisha State Armed Police (OSAP), M. Nageswar Rao, are not addressed by May 18.
The Odisha Police Havildar Constable and Sepoys’ Confederation has demanded a high-level inquiry into Rao’s actions ever since he joined as ADG OSAP in May last year, along with his transfer to the post without any police force under him.
The grievances relate to Rao’s alleged “tyrannical functioning” and “indiscriminate transfer” of OSAP havildars and sepoys causing “mental, economic and social agony”.
“Members posted for law and order in Maoist infested areas will first observe fast on duty for three days from May 16. We will intensify the agitation if the fast on duty fails to evoke the desired response from the government. All the 55,000 employee members drawn from the Odisha Police and OSAP in the ranks of havildars, constables and sepoys will go on mass leave from May 19,” said Padmanav Behera, president of the confederation, at a news conference here today.
Rao refused to comment on the charges levelled against him.
Behera alleged that Rao had over the past year transferred nearly 2,000 havildars and sepoys. In most cases they were being relieved of duty within a day of joining a new posting even when the transfer was from Cuttack to Koraput or Koraput to Cuttack.
On April 19, the confederation had submitted a memorandum to chief minister Naveen Patnaik through the director general of police for action, but it has failed to generate a response till date. The policemen were upset that the chief secretary and home secretary, after a discussion on January 27, had promised action, but nothing had followed.
“The ADG OSAP had issued 54 transfer orders in three days from May 3. More than 10 office bearers of the confederation were also among those transferred,” Behera said.
The confederation president, however, said: “The DGP had cancelled all the 54 transfers on May 8.”