The Telegraph
Thursday , April 19 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
Calcutta Weather
Min : 27.60°C (+3)
Max : 37.30°C (+3)
Rainfall : 0.00 mm
Relative Humidity:
Max : 87.00% Min : 47.00%
Sunrise : 5:13 AM
Sunset : 5:59 PM
Mainly clear sky. Maximum temperature likely to be
around 38°C.
CIMA Gallary

Youth dead after night-long drink

The death of a 22-year-old, whose body was found in a car early on Wednesday, led to the arrest of his twin and two others who had allegedly abandoned him after he fell ill following night-long drinking.

The body of Sheikh Shoaib Alam, who worked in a Royd Street call centre, was recovered from a Chevrolet Cruze on Elliot Road after a relative spotted him lying in the backseat.

Those arrested are Shabbir Alam, Shoaib’s twin, and Akil Ansari and Jamshed Alam, both friends of the brothers. They have been charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

“We are looking for the sedan’s owner, Tabeez Ahmed. He seems to have left the spot on a bike. All the youths are residents of the Ripon Street area, close to the spot where the body was found,” said an officer of Park Street police station.

Joint commissioner Pallab Kanti Ghosh said no injury marks were found on the body. “A preliminary probe revealed the presence of a huge amount of liquor in the stomach.”

Cops quoted doctors who had performed the post-mortem as saying that the cardio-respiratory failure had been triggered by heavy drinking and prolonged stay in a closed chamber.

The police said the twins, Akil, Jamshed, Tabeez, and a woman had met at a Ripon Street garage around 10.30pm to drink. “After a long session, the group left in Tabeez’s car to drop the woman home on Prince Anwar Shah Road,” said an officer.

The youths then returned to the garage and apparently resumed drinking. “After some time they moved to the car and continued drinking till dawn, when Shoaib fell ill. The arrested trio said they had cranked on the AC and asked him to lie in the backseat,” the officer said.

Around 6.30am, Shoaib’s uncle Feroze Alam, who was passing by to drop his daughter to school, saw the ailing youth and one of the friends inside, while the rest were huddled close by. On his way back, Alam saw Shoaib alone lying inside the car. “He was unconscious. The car was locked and the AC off. We had to smash the window panes to bring him out,” Alam told Metro.