The Telegraph
Tuesday , March 6 , 2012
Since 1st March, 1999
CIMA Gallary

Ordered, CID does what cops won’t

Burdwan, March 5: The CID has got two-day custody of four suspects in the Burdwan murder case, the switch from jail stay facilitated by the high court’s intervention.

The acting chief judicial magistrate of Burdwan, S.K. Dhar, allowed police custody of the four alleged Trinamul supporters and said they would have to be produced before him on March 7.

Although the CID had sought a week’s custody, the court gave only two days probably because the accused were already supposed to have been presented in court on Wednesday.

A CID officer today said outside the court: “On March 7, we might again seek custody of the accused.”

Last week, Calcutta High Court had asked the CID to probe the murders of two CPM leaders, including former MLA Pradip Tah. The high court had termed as “not satisfactory” the police probe into the murders and said the bench would monitor the CID probe.

The petitions had also pointed out that only four of the 22 people mentioned in the FIR had been arrested so far. The high court had asked the state government why the other 18 had not been arrested.

The CID’s approach to the murder case is in contrast to that of the police who had not sought custody of the four accused Patitpaban Tah, Surajit Tah, Chhoton Chakraborty and Bhupal Goswami on February 23 in the same court and the judge had given judicial custody for two weeks.

Asked why the police had not sought custody of the accused after their arrest, a senior district police officer declined to comment.

Lawyers defending the accused opposed the CID’s appeal seeking their custody.

“I don’t know why the CID sought custody of our clients because they are innocent. My clients were in any case supposed to be produced before the court on March 7. The CID could have sought custody on that day,” said Sadan Tah, a lawyer defending the accused.

After taking over the probe, CID officers had visited the site of the killings in Dewandighi and visited the house of Pradip Tah.

“We have spoken to Tah’s wife and daughter about the incident on February 22. We also interrogated the accused in Burdwan district jail. After speaking to the accused for two hours on March 3, we realised that we needed them in our custody,” said a CID officer.

The CID officers had also spoken to members of three other families living close to the site of the murders. “It did not help us much speaking to the local people. We will now interrogate the accused,” an officer said.